HOUSE NAMES

Angie

We think the time has come to give our house a name!  All deliveries over the years have been addressed to our original plot number and find their way to us OK.  Our piece of land is referred to as La Fontaine on cadestral maps because there is a natural spring running underneath it and this would have been the ideal name however, I am sure I have heard about another property in the village called this.  Before we decide on a name is it advisable to check with the Marie or the post office to make sure it would be OK as we don't want to upset anyone?

We wouldn't have a problem with just having a house number but none of the other five houses in our road have numbers (and they have been there for centuries!) so don't think that's an option.  Thanks all.

Yes, you must discuss this at the mairie, they are the only ones who can name a property locally as an official address for the Percepteur etc. I am so glad you did not decide on something like Honeysuckle cottage which I have seen brits do here in Brittany and upset the neighbours. I have in the past spent hours in the archives here with the deputy maire sorting out new names for new lotissements,banals,routes and impasses to suit before it is formally OK'd by the council.

In general French houses are never named, the exception being holiday homes, something about them being close to the heart and affectionate names given.

Now whilst I have seen loads of camping shacks on terrains de loisirs named I have only ever seen one proper house with a name and I suspect that the owners may be British, for the former its obvious that they are not and indeed cannot be permanantly occupied, for the latter a normal house its like a big advert for burglars that the house will be a low risk break in, I would ask around how naming your house would be percieved especially if it is isolated.

I have actually seen one other proper house with a name, - "Llamedos" I am fairly certain that it must have been named by someone from the UK but not necessarily Wales though, the clue is to read it backwards [;-)]

Hi Val

This is interesting because my friend was thinking of giving a name to his cottage. He asked at the post office and the post mistress said there would be no problem but it seems as if  he should ask at the mairie as well which he probably would have done anyway.

Can you tell me why the name Honeysuckle Cottage would upset the neighbours? Does it have some other meaning?

Laurier

Well, I've been there and done that.

At our other house, there were 4 houses with the same name and I asked at the mairie whether I could give mine a name of our own choosing to "distinguer" it from the other three.  They said no problem but notify the post office.

Went to the post office and filled in a form with the name and there we were, all done and dusted.

Honeysuckle? not Chevrefeuille?

I must say, said in french honeysuckle sounds very strange to me, I don't know what the french posters think..............I reckon it would be 'on ay suu qu-le'. It's not as if an english person could get directions saying the english version 'honeysuckle', the locals would think of in it's french pronunciation and wouldn't recognise 'honeysuckle' in english.

Because sticking an english name on a french property would not go down well and especially here where most properties have the name in Breton as well as french and anything different or foreign sounding would get right under the skin of the diehard locals not to mention the militants here.

Yes, I reckon that it sounds odd with a french accent and no one would no what it meant and chevrefeuille, isn't quite pretty enough in french.

What would work in both languages is 'roses'. Have you any of those in your garden?  And personally I think that 'rose' sounds prettier in french than english, maybe that is just me![Www]

In our commune there was a numbering (numérotation I think was the term) exercise carried out about 4 years ago and as a result our property was given a number, previously having been referred to by the general "quartier" of the village. So every house is numbered now, and the commune worker also came round and affixed nice little enamel plaques to each house or gatepost. We received a letter from La Poste stating the exact address format to be used in future. A name would just be ignored I think.  At the same time several previously unnamed roads and streets were also "named", completing the tidying up; it must have been a real problem for the postman or delivery drivers.

Like previous posters, I've seen a few names in other places, "Grand Mas" is one which makes me smile, but the joke is lost on anyone but a British person, and it's a bit of a giveaway I think.