Replacing Digibox

We have just developed an intermittent sound problem with our Sky reception, we are not getting any sound problems whilst watching French TV via our aerial, so I am assuming that it is the digibox that has developed a fault, it is somewhere near 8 years old, so I am looking to replace it to see if the fault lies with the digibox before calling someone out.

I thought I read somewhere a while back that new digiboxes will not work in France to pick up subscription Sky, so it is best to purchase a second-hand one from say from ebay, although I could be totally wrong about that. If this is the case that a second-hand box is required having looked on ebay some of the sellers are stating that I will have to telephone Sky to have my new (although technically it will be second-hand) digibox aligned to my existing Sky card, can anyone confirm that this is the case, or is it just a case of plugging in the Sky card and off you go?

So basically can somebody tell me I have not dreamt that new boxes will not work with subscription Sky. If I have to telephone Sky to have my card aligned with my new box, and recommend a good digibox.

Merci beaucoup!

Someone is having you on, a Sky box has no idea where it is so as long as you are receiving a satellite signal it will work.

Cards can be are a little more tricky and if you do get a new box from Sky then you will have to phone them to have your card married to it, the usual cautions apply to that.

I've heard stories of friends or relatives doing it in UK as all Sky actually need is the number of the box and the card number so I see no reason for it not to work.

Before you shoot off looking for a new box though a lot of problems with older boxes spring from worn out power supply capacitors and for some models repair kits are available at a very modest cost but you need to know how to wield a soldering iron of course.

If that is something which appeals to you have a look on Satcure to see if the have a kit for your particular box. They also have a source for secondhand boxes

Many thanks to you both for your prompt replies.

Mr Other I am sure it was on this forum I read the bit about new boxes some while back now, but as you say the box will have no idea where it is as regards to receiving a signal. When it comes to a soldering iron I know which end you hold, but after that [blink].

D&O alas the scart lead was the first thing I tried, especially as I thought the video had packed up, as it too was having problems on the sound front, and that was down to the scart lead slightly hanging out on one side. The problem with the sound on our Sky reception is the actual sound is fine, but every now and again and awful wuurring noise blocks out most of the sound, most annoying.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"][quote user="Grecian"]

but every now and again and awful wuurring noise blocks out most of the sound, most annoying.

[/quote]

Are you sure that's not just one of the presenters? G. Norton for example? [6]

[/quote]

... or those ghastly pair of lahndanars on Masterchef???

p

Sounds like it could be mains born interference causing the audio problems.

Do you by any chance have a thermostat switching a reasonably heavy mains loading like a boiler pump?

I recently brought over a few Makita battery drills and have resold most of them on Leboncoin, I recharged the batteries from the one remaining drill and found that the charger when charging does the same thing to the sound on my portable radio, the noise stops when the battery is removed and the charger on standby, none of my Elu or Dewalt chargers do this.

Might be worth scratching the grey matter and disconnecting a few things before condemning the digibox.

Thanks for that suggestion Chancer, but I have already condemned my old digibox to a grisly end, as my new Amstrad digibox showed up today, and after connecting the new box everything all works fine again now.

And yes Mr Other the box has now idea where is it, and works fine here in France, I really must stop drinking so much red wine!