Is it possible to disable wifi when I don't need it and then switch on again when I do. Reason I am asking is because a good neighbour ( holiday home , french ) came and asked if the wifi he had found was me and could he use it ! I actually don't mind as he is a good friend and only here 2 times per year but if others use his house don't want all comers to ask ! i use mostly plugged in so would like to only switch on wifi when I want to use rather than leave on all the time !

Thank you :-)

[quote user="bubble"]Is it possible to disable wifi when I don't need it and then switch on again when I do. [/quote]

The main answer is "yes", but there are a couple of possibilities:

There may be a physical switch on the router - if so then easy.

Otherwise you can turn it off via the the router's control page - which is accessible from an attached computer - see your original setup booklet or search online for the manual for that make and model.

As Richard notes ou can also turn on the security and then turn off the broadcasting of the ID - again from the control page. This way, although the WiFi will be on, it will be unaccessible and unidentifiable.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="bubble"]Is it possible to disable wifi when I don't need it and then switch on again when I do. Reason I am asking is because a good neighbour ( holiday home , french ) came and asked if the wifi he had found was me and could he use it ! I actually don't mind as he is a good friend and only here 2 times per year but if others use his house don't want all comers to ask ! i use mostly plugged in so would like to only switch on wifi when I want to use rather than leave on all the time !

Thank you :-)
[/quote]

As Pickles said, the best practice is to use the highest level of security, set a difficult password and turn off broadcast of the signal from the router.

If that's too complicated and you can't find an on/off switch on your modem and/or router, just unplug them.

Hi folks thanks for that but is an orange live box and is very secure. If anyone knows the key then they must be excellent as it is huge!

The reason I ask is because I normally use the computer plugged in I only have a need for wifi sometimes.

And I wanted to switch off when not needed so people do not know there is a connection around.

There are other visitors who use the house and they are very friendly and come every year and I just do not want to be in the position of being asked if I mind them logging in !! I am too soft and find it difficult to say well I would prefer not !! It does seem to slow down my computer. The owners of the house had a laptop each !!!

Hi Bubble

Do you know how to connect to the Livebox's configuration page? The following may work for you, but it would be an idea to check the manual. Type the following address into your web browser: 192.168.1.1

This should bring up a screen that asks for a password. Now, unless you have changed this, (you DID, didn't you?) the default is generally admin.

This should bring up a configuration page. Either on this page, or on a page accessed by clicking on an "avancé" tab, there should be an option to "désactiver wifi" or something similar, which you then need to click.

Regards

Pickles

In order to connect wirelessly to an Orange livebox you need both the security code, which is very long, and physical access to the livebox so you can press the association button to allow another remote device to connect. So I wouldn't personally worry too much about other people using your connection. To do so would be very difficult without you giving them the code and letting them into the house. Unless you have been into the configuration screen as above and disabled security of course.

Don't forget that if you do give access to others then you must change the default admin password otherwise anybody could log into the Livebox and do anything they wanted to.

Remember also that anyone who is connected to your Livebox, wirelessly or othewise, automatically has un restricted access to your Messengerie [:'(]

[quote user="Will"]So I wouldn't personally worry too much about other people using your connection. To do so would be very difficult without you giving them the code and letting them into the house.[/quote]

I think that what Bubbles is getting at is the wish to avoid the situation where someone (neighbour, visitor, etc) has a wifi PC, sees that there is a wifi network, and then asks to access it "just as a favour, just this once" etc. To avoid the problem arising, if others don't know that there is a wifi network (ie they can't detect one), then they are unlikely to ask for access (and denial of the existence of a wifi network is made easier).

Regards

Pickles

Exactly Pickles :-) Is maybe my question was badly worded ! My husband says I talk in riddles but I am female.

I have not changed the huge access code so guess I should have ? But if no one else can use it then I am not too worried. I trust my neighbour 100% I just told him I will have to kill him if he gives it to anyone else !!! His brother Marc works for France telecom so he can fix any mess !! but just don't want anyone else asking !! We have a gite just up the road so will be other folks there in the summer

Whilst he may be very trustworthy (I have no reason to think otherwise as I don't know the person) and not give the code/key to a second party do remember YOU are responsible for anything 'hooky' he downloads like pirate music or a film even. He probably wouldn't but you need to be aware. There's a post about the new laws somewhere and I am sure others can point to the post and information on this as I am a tad busy at the moment.

Sorry for the late response. I had password problems.

One additional thought.

If you give the password key to anybody it is difficult to make them forget it and it sounds like you might have difficulty changing it.

There is another way. You can make your router filter by MAC address. Each machine that has wifi has its own address. So you can allow somebody to get in, then stop them later. Some routers allow you to monitor/limit their usage as well.

However this doesn't stop the other worries. The points about disabling SSID and even switching off the wifi when not using it are all valid as well.

John