I am sure this has been asked many times but cannot find it,we have been given an english laptop as back up for the main computer but cannot get it to conect to the livebox.When we were given the laptop we were told to get a wireless usb adaptor which we did and i downloaded the disc onto the main computer and put the adaptor in the lap top,we have nowe been told this is wrong as we dont need it.The lap top says its found the livebox 316 but will not conect to it,can anyone tell me in basic terms how and what we have to do. 

A confused non computer oldie,

You will find an association button somewhere on the Livebox, depending on make of box, you need to press this, before you try and connect the laptop for the first time. you should then have a flashing light on the Livebox, which stays on for about 10 mins for you to connect.

Unless it's an old dog I'd be surprised if the laptop were not WiFi capable without the need for a USB adapter but even so why have you loaded it's drivers into your main computer, did you really mean to say that ?

Regardless, if the laptop is seeing the Livebox WiFi then do as derf says, the required security key will be on a label on the Livebox.

Hi Thanks for the replies,i still cannot get the lap top to go wi fi and it will work if i unplug the main computer from the live box and put the lap top directly into it.How do i get the lap top to accept the wifi signal as i am not sure how i put the security key in. 

First things first then, which operating system do you have and you did originally say that you cold see 'livebox 316' so is that correct or not and are you sure it's your Livebox and not a neighbours ?

Where exactly are you 'seeing' it ?

a small screen comes up saying that the livebox 316 needs a network key which i a ssume is the one on the livebox box it came in,i type in the long code and it searches for about 2 mins and then says no wireless network is available but the lap top is sat next to livebox.it is asking me to make sure the wireless switch on the computer is on but i dont know on the lap top what that is if indeed i need one. 

Hi

I am a complete novice at this but recently I acquired a netbook and took it to France and tried to connect it wirelessly to my system without success.  I telephoned my young grandson and he told me that I should put in the number when asked, which can be found on the bottom of the router and then push the button on the bottom of the router and hey presto it worked perfectly.

You can but try.|  Good luck.

WendyG

On that screen on the left go to 'Change the order of preferred networks' then remove Livebox 316, ignore any messages about impending doom, then OK.

Now go back to 'View Wireless Networks' and refresh network list

Once Livebox 316 appears press the pairing button on the livebox then click connect.

A window should pop up asking for the network key so enter it twice then connect.

Make sure you do not have Caps lock or Num lock on, in fact to be completely sure that you are typing what you think you are you can open notepad, type your key onto that, then copy and paste it into the boxes.

That should be it.

PS: If you are seeing Livebox 316 then your Wifi is on and working so the suggestion to check if it is switched on is a red herring.

sorry again i re read your email and missed the bit about pushing the button so i did it again and it seemed to connect but when i tried to get on the internet a nessage came up saying,,, no connection available and can work of line ot try again.At the bottom a message says that the wireless network connection 6 has limited or no connectivity

• 1 month later...

[quote user="johnycarper"]If you mean on the lap top it tells me that the webpage is unavailable while offline[/quote]

If as seems evident the home page to which your PC reports requires a connection to internet then you will get such a message.

If the LiveBox IP is rejected when entered into the address bar then one will have to change in IE options to a blank page not requiring an internet connection first.

[quote user="johnycarper"]... it seemed to connect but when i tried to get on the internet a nessage came up saying,,, no connection available and can work of line ot try again.[/quote]

These are symptoms of the Livebox using a wifi channel that the laptop can't use.

Using a wired (Ethernet) connection, go into the Livebox administration panel and change the channel to 11, in the wifi settings.

QUOTE it is asking me to make sure the wireless switch on the computer is on but i dont know on the lap top what that is if indeed i need one. END QUOTE

I have had a message like this on one or two occasions, and looking carefully along all the outer edges of my laptop revealed that there is indeed a little switch that can be slid one way or t'other. And when I did that, it worked. I am not on my laptop at the moment, so can't look, but I think if you have good eyesight you can see a little pic of an aerial with the little waves each side.

Good luck.

Angela