Hope one of you helpful knowledgeable people can help an idiot.

I can normally connect the sky box and tv and they work immediately.

However a new all in one tv - small tv/dvd/vcr and new sky box have completely defeated me.  Have connected in usual way but can only get sound for all progs but no picture.

cable from dish works perfectly on other sky/tv.

Help please

WendyG

Possible causes (at first glance)

Faulty Scart lead (or are you using an aerial fly-lead?)

New Sky box set to output RGB whilst TV (or Scart lead) can only cope with composite video (PAL).   As a temporary check,  go into Sky box menus and set video out to PAL not RGB.

Have you tried the new Sky box with the old TV and the new TV with the old Sky box?   Might narrow the problem down.

If you're getting sound you can't be far off (ie dish working fine,  as you've worked out).

If you are using Scart leads you could try instead connecting using the aerial fly lead method (ie RF out on Sky box to aerial in on TV) and setting TV to scan using system I (or Europe setting).

Post back and we'll go on helping....

Thanks Martin

Have now attached sky box to another tv and bingo everything ok, so must be the tv that I am not using correctly. 

It is a tv/dvd/vcr combi 14"  and I cannot set it to just AV it keeps coming up as AV1 or AV2.  I  have tried manual channels and auto channels tuning but still only sound.  So many buttons on remote control am sure I must be pressing the wrong ones. 

Will try again tomorrow when I am more wide awake and follow your suggestions.

Thanks again

WendyG

Still make sure that the scart lead is ok. Even wiggle it about a bit and see if you get any change. I have had many scart lead problems here in france which is a bit strange. Also some scart leads are of very cheap quality and just fall apart.

AV1 and AV2 is no problem.    It simply means that the TV has more than one AV input.   Often repeatedly pushing a "single" AV button on the remote cycles through all the options,  which might be

AV1 -> AV2 -> S-Video -> VGA -> AV1 and round again.

If you look in detail at the sockets on the TV they should all be marked (often in illegible and very small black plastic moulded writing!) to narrow the choices down.

Still sounds as though the SCART lead is dodgy/not fully pressed home,  as thebiga says.

Keep coming back though,  we'll try not to let it beat us!

I detest Scart leads myself and they are a major cause of problems for me too.  But they are one thing which I feel it is worth spending a bit of money on.  I've found that the decent gold plated ones are usually better put together and thus fall out/get bent/don't go fully home etc etc, far less than the cheap things which to my mind are a false economy.  And the resulting picture quality is far better too.

• 3 months later...
SCART leads ? tellme about it, have you ever noticed that they , more often than not, are oriented on the device so that the cable enters from the top, thus putting a downward pressure on the oversquare fitting and wanting to draw it out of the socket. Course they were designed by a Frenchman, probably in his lunch break.

@ pheracles

Indeed.    I have one sat receiver where the orientation of the Scart socket means that the thick cable neatly obstructs access to the phono sockets for audio and composite.    You have to slightly bend the cables to get everything in at the same time.

But no French man would design ANYTHING in his lunch break  (although a French woman might,  lest anyone think I'm being discriminatory!!)