Computer won't start up correctly

As a result of someone using the computer as a dvd player, it now won't start up properly. I need to try and fix this asap as it is the main one that works the livebox etc.

The black screen with all the numbers and jargon appears briefly (though it looks different) and then the screen telling me that my computer cannot start appears and I can try 2 things, which seem to amount to the same.

I then get a packard bell screensaver type window appear and a 'reparation du démarrage" It goes through the motions of trying to fix it and after 10 minutes another box appears from Mirosoft windows telling me I an send the info as it can't be repaired automatically.it does tell me then that the problem is

startup repair V2 autofailover and some numbers.

The details of the problem it sa

It would help if you said which OS you have but this works for XP, Vista and Win 7.

As you boot continually prod F8 when you should eventually get a screen with several options one of which is Safe Mode.

Choose that then as it's starting you will get a message about using System Restore so choose that and see if that cures your problem.

If not reboot again but this time at the menu choose Last Known Good Configuration.

I don't know what you mean by 'works the livebox'

PS: The functions will say something else in French but can't tell you what exactly.

It's vista.

The netbook I am using now, only connects to the internet when the now not working one is connected.

I have tried again and it seemed to start better as I got as far as putting my password in, but then instead of having my screen saver and icons appear the screen was black . I am going to google what appeared on my screen as the fault and see what I an find. Will try the F8 button as a last resort, I don't like going there.

thanks

I have just tried it again and took the USB key out first as directed to here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934540

and it has started up as normal.

Don't know if I'll have to do that everytime now but it's working fine.

Panic over till the next time.

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated.

[quote user="Gardener"]I have just tried it again and took the USB key out first as directed to here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934540

and it has started up as normal.

[/quote]

sounds like "boot' order is wrong!