Livebox Power Supply Fault Can Lose Internet

I haven’t seen this problem mentioned on the forum before so here goes….

On Monday we lost our Internet connection – the @ light on the LiveBox started blinking rapidly (5 times per second) and rebooting etc  failed to fix it. Orange tested the line and could find no problem. The cause was eventually traced to a faulty power supply to the LiveBox. Apparently these Chinese power supplies can develop a fault which still permits power to be delivered but also generates a frequency that cancels out the ADSL signal. According to the technician who came to sort it all out, this is a known issue and he carries a supply of new power units (of a different type!) in his van.

Our LiveBox is about 4 years old and is a Sagem model. If you have one of these with a black power supply then it may cause this problem eventually. However, I don’t know if the same problem applies to the Inventel model.

Hope this helps.

Arrrghhhh!  I think I have the same problem.
My 3-y-o Livebox has been useless since last night, and all day today.  (I have stomped out of the house in disgust, and am typing this in the car outside my local tourist office's wifi hotspot!  At least in so doing, I have proved that my computer can connect OK, and have eliminated that as a problem.)

I have tried the "unplugging and leaving it" treatment, so the Livebox did have a chance to cool down.   I have also tried the connection via wifi, and via the ethernet cable.
When plugged in again, all the lights flash in the usual way for a bit, and then it seems to settle down to the two usual fixed ones (the wifi, and the @ sign).
But once I start up the computer and try to pick up emails or do some surfing, the << light starts flashing (?looking for connection), and then the @ one, and I get NOWHERE.

How do I go about getting someone to come and look, in case it's the same problem as above?  Via the helpline, or via my local Orange shop?

Sorry, I can't tell you what make my model is, as I am 5km away from it.

Angela

They won't come to you to see it.

You can take it in to your local shop and they will test it there.

Or you can also call up 3900 and they will go through a series of tests - you will need to be by the computer and livebox. If it is deemed to be faulty, they will give you a code to take it to the shop for an exchange.

Its probably easier to just take it in. If it is a faulty power supply, they should change it.

If it is an older version rented livebox, they will now change it for the latest model free of charge in the Orange shop.

http://assistance.orange.fr/echanger-votre-livebox-812.php

If it is 3 yrs old, then it is probably the livebox mini, so they should change it anyway.

Take a print out of that page and highlight the Vous rendre directement en boutique avec votre ancienne Livebox pour obtenir immédiatement une Livebox 2 bit, in case you get a grumpy sales person.

Also take in all the bits and pieces - filters, cables etc etc.

All assuming it is a rented livebox, of course.

Danny

It is unlikely that they will send an engineer (although not unheard of) all the information you need can be found in the following link.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1801254/ShowPost.aspx

I was led to believe elsewhere that you can get one of the new type box's free in exchange for the old type (thats the one that looks like a book, the new one is oblong with the corner cut off). You might try that at your local Orange shop, could be quicker than going through the help-desk.

I don't belieeeeeeeeeve it!   The Livebox has had a 6-hour break (unplugged from mains and phone socket), and now seems to be working again.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.  Although I am of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" school, I think I shall stick it under my arm and make for the Orange shop tomorrow morning and see if I can get a new one.  Have printed out the relevant page and run the highlighter across the important sentence - thanks J&D!

Angela

[quote user="pachapapa"]Take power supply out of socket; let it cool;reconnect in socket; if Box boots OK but after 10-15 minutes it drops out again it is the power supply.[/quote]I'm surprised at you PPP, such a test is conclusive of nothing more than the fact that something is failing after 10-15 minutes and that could just as easily be a component in the Livebox proper as a failing power supply.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="pachapapa"]Take power supply out of socket; let it cool;reconnect in socket; if Box boots OK but after 10-15 minutes it drops out again it is the power supply.[/quote]I'm surprised at you PPP, such a test is conclusive of nothing more than the fact that something is failing after 10-15 minutes and that could just as easily be a component in the Livebox proper as a failing power supply.

[/quote]

True! Not an infallible test. However the connection of a CB 12v 5A power pack kept it going without dropping out for 3 days until the replacement with the little green LED arrived.

Still got the dud one so when I change from Alice one day...guess which one they will get back with the rest of the kit.[:D]

I had the same problem only 2 weeks ago The Orange Asia help line took me through every combination of trying to get me on line . The @ light kept rapid flashing . I now have a Mini one as they looked up and found mine was 6 years old and told me the new ones had improved software and they would give me a replacement .

No mention of the power supply which it appears is the cause of the problem from this post .

Oh look, mine's working again now!   It refused to all morning, and I was too busy today to take it to Orange. 
I can see it's going to be like taking your car to the garage when it's got some intermittent fault/funny noise, and then it all working perfectly once you are in front of a professional.   Grr.

Angela

I had the same problem a couple of months ago. One day fine, then the next kept going off. They sent someone out to check telephone lines and did a test on adsl etc and no probs. Took old livebox down to Orange to be tested and told them it is fine for about 10 mins then drops out but they said there wasn't a problem and it was at our end. Going to send engineer out for 150 euros. If Livebox was at fault we would get refund. I persisted in going back to Orange and got a chap that couldn't understand me so he shrugged and exchanged it for a new one. Voila, it now works and no probs.

Yesterday (Fri) was another bad day, so I eventually rang 3900 as suggested.  The person I spoke to eventually said someone would come out on Monday. to look at it

Of course, since then it has worked perfectly!   And I suppose if it's working perfectly when the guy comes on Monday, he's going to say there's nothing wrong. [SIGH]

Angela

Yeah!!!

The guy turned up today and spent 1.5 hrs up ladders, down in a hole with the mouse droppings, and even up the road somewhere to test some bit of the supply.  (As I anticipated, the connection was working impeccably this morning.)
I asked casually if it maybe needed a new Livebox, and he said no, no, not at all.

Then he could not get mine to reconnect after all his unpluggings and repluggings, and so he set up  A NEW LIVEBOX for me!!  [:D]

Thanks so much for all the advice, everyone.  [kiss]

Angela