Transferring Contacts list from UK Smartphone to French Smartphone?

Hi, I currently have an HTC desire smartphone on an o2 contract with internet access.  I realise that when I move to France next year I will need to sign up with one of the French networks (such as Orange, SFR, Bougyes Telecom) and will go for a similar contract and a new smartphone.  Does that mean I will have to manually enter the contact details for everyone in my UK phone into my French one, or is there a workaround using a PC which might avoid such a laborious process?  Thanks for any info. 

I've got an HTC Wildfire (and wish that I'd bought a faster one). I can synchronise my "phone" diary, contacts etc with Microsoft Outlook on the PC and vice versa. So, IF YOU CHANGE YOUR PHONE (to French, English or whatever) you should be able to do a synchronise to the PC and then back to your new phone.

Alternatively, you should be able to move everything from your UK phone to the UK SIM, pop the UK SIM in the French phone and copy to the French phone, then replace the SIM with the French one and pop the UK card back in the UK phone.

Hi, thanks for all of that. I'd forgotten completely that you could just download contacts to SD then just transfer across to a new phone. It would be handy if the o2 phone wasn't locked, but then again I always like it when upgrade time comes along, so a new handset from the french network would be fine by me. I could always keep the old one as back up if (as has been my recent experience) the first handset received isn't up to the mark so has to go back!

Seems the advertised coverage for 3G from the main 3 french networks is very good, even in the Alps. Just wondered what people out there had experienced in this respect? SFR seem very competitive on contract price, unless I'm missing something.