thomson tv-cannot get zoom picture!

hi,

TV is about 4 years old and has 4 different screen sizes which are only changed with handd control.Today the picture is in small standard format....control will change volume still so not batteries.Any way around this problem other than dumping this load of tv!The year guarantee was up found a sceen dark mark growing in size and supplier said screen replacement not available as old model!!!cost 750euro beware buyers!

It's not at all uncommon for remote controls to cease working on certain functions and what frequently happens (don't ask me how) is that grease or other grunge gets in between the membrane and the contacts.

The only remedy is to open it up and clean it. I've done this more times than I can remember.

[quote user="AnOther"]It's not at all uncommon for remote controls to cease working on certain functions and what frequently happens (don't ask me how) is that grease or other grunge gets in between the membrane and the contacts.

The only remedy is to open it up and clean it. I've done this more times than I can remember.

[/quote]

This has just happened on our one year old Toshiba. We're waiting for them to send us a new remote.

[quote user="Ab"]I have checked batteries and they were just below the original 1.5volts so replaced them and now find zoom ok.!!!Yet all other uses of remote control were unaffected with the former batteries!

thanks for sugestions.[/quote]

So your "Buyers Beware" comment in your first post should have read "Buyers beware of themselves".

If the voltage was "only just" below the original 1.5v then I wouldn't think that it was the batteries. My guess is that when you turned the remote over and fiddled with the battery case, you also allowed the bit of crisp (or caviar depending on how posh you are) to move that was preventing the button from working correctly.

Being a Thomson I guess you bought it in France, but if by chance it was the UK... guarantees are almost meaningless as the sale of goods act is far more important. Products have to be fit for purpose and of merchantable quality.... I think that means that if you can find expert advice saying that a screen should last more than a year, then the product was not of merchantable quality and so you are entitled to a repair / replacement.