I want to buy a dvd player that will play avi discs but when i have been into stores i cannot see the avi listed,is it classed under something else.Some info would be good as i don't want to buy the wrong player and find i cannot play avi discs on it.

Thanks

What your looking for DivX. To be honest I have not come across a DVD player that does not support this. Having said that I bet there is one out there somewhere and it's you that buys it. [:'(] Why not look on the Internet, either take down the model number in the shop then look on the manufacturers website or look on shop websites like Darty.

http://www.darty.com/nav/recherche?text=DVD

This is certainly a messy area. I've got two blu-ray players (Sony), but different models.

I've got a load of mpeg4 files that will play fine on the one I have in the UK but not on the one in France.

I've now got to convert these to DVD format.

Being .avi files suggests that the material is not commercial and therefore not copyright protected in which case it would be very easy to convert any non compatible files to another format.

There are many free programmes available for doing that.

You wouldn't necessarily have to waste CD's either as most players will have a USB port meaning that you can play them from a cheap memory stick instead.

It may not suit your set-up but I use the DVD on my computer to read everything including sound and video files, using VLC player.

You can then connect to a good set of speakers or a screen

I don't find the need for a separate DVD reader.