Its going to be even more difficult to terminate your phone contract

I am always dubious of English language Expat papers in France, they have got things wrong in the past.

In this case they lead one to believe that ARCEP were represented at the meeting and they were not so their comments are conjecture rather than fact. Some of these jobs are going because of Free taking customers from other companies. It's called business I am afraid, you loose contracts you cut staff, welcome (France) to the real world. Changing contracts for existing customers won't mean the people who will loose their jobs gain as the customers have already left (assuming it is true). These companies may be able to hang on to their existing clients but it won't replace the money they have already lost to pay for these people who are sitting around doing nothing. I have given a link to the actual article in Le Figaro if anyone is interested.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/societes/2012/07/17/20005-20120717ARTFIG00549-un-train-de-mesures-pour-les-telecoms-en-france.php

Personally I think the biggest possible change that will cause disruption in France is the removal of the law that excludes paying tax on overtime. I see the teachers are already up in arms about this and I suspect there is more to come. It is not doing Hollands reputation much good as his popularity drops from 69% to 53%. Give it a couple of years and he will be hated in the same way as the other fella now living in Canada (having managed to 'escape' France two hours prior to his 30 days grace awarded to outgoing French presidents on prosecution running out).

http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/2012/07/17/01002-20120717ARTFIG00581-sondages-premieres-alertespour-francois-hollande.php

Definitely more attention should be paid to the wants of the consumer. Those overpaid workers are such an ungrateful surly lot. France should study the UK more closely, join in the race to the bottom. Let's see a few more unemployed and homeless here.

Competition should rule all business activity. That way we can all get the shoddiest goods and service at the cheapest price, but be attended to by smiling and obliging staff.

I often found the very best service and attention was in the very poorest countries I visited. In some middle and far eastern countries someone would watch my car for an hour for sixpence, and almost fall over with gratitude when I tossed them a coin. Spain and France were much nicer when the people were poor.

More telephone services and employees could be outsourced from other countries, wages here would be driven down by the competition; workers would be more grateful to the consumers for allowing them to work, and service would improve.

French farmers are overpaid for their produce - why can't France import more food from third world countries, so the prices to local producers could be driven down even more. That would make them improve their offer.

So we get rip off mobile charges and unbreakable contracts BUT France will be saved.

French goods and products are as rubbish as those in the UK. But they will grow by taxation and ripping off the proletariat.

Perhaps they should show some solidarity and give up there vast CAP subsidy for the benefit of Spain and Italy.

[quote user="nomoss"]

Definitely more attention should be paid to the wants of the consumer. Those overpaid workers are such an ungrateful surly lot. France should study the UK more closely, join in the race to the bottom. Let's see a few more unemployed and homeless here.

Competition should rule all business activity. That way we can all get the shoddiest goods and service at the cheapest price, but be attended to by smiling and obliging staff.

I often found the very best service and attention was in the very poorest countries I visited. In some middle and far eastern countries someone would watch my car for an hour for sixpence, and almost fall over with gratitude when I tossed them a coin. Spain and France were much nicer when the people were poor.

More telephone services and employees could be outsourced from other countries, wages here would be driven down by the competition; workers would be more grateful to the consumers for allowing them to work, and service would improve.

French farmers are overpaid for their produce - why can't France import more food from third world countries, so the prices to local producers could be driven down even more. That would make them improve their offer.

[/quote]

Nice one Nomoss.......... I'm wondering if any of my french friends would get the irony, and would probably go into a tirade, until exhaustion set in and the penny dropped[Www]

It is about time that over time was paid, maybe my son would earn a living wage and be paid properly. Like those employers in restauration would actually pay their workers properly....... well only the few that are already paying them properly!

[quote user="NormanH"]Since my contract is 'sans engagement' it would be hard for it to be easier to terminate..

[/quote]

I am afraid having experinced problems with cancelling or trying to switch providers for  insurance, internet and others. I am not so optimistic. Its a shame consumer rights and protection mean so little but if people feel its fair outcome to protect jobs and its the French way  then who am  l to argue.

[quote user="NormanH"]Since my contract is 'sans engagement' it would be hard for it to be easier to terminate..
[/quote]

Not so fast, it probably could be easier, Norman.

I commenced terminating my SFR "sans engagement" Phone/ADSL contract on March 2nd this year.

After completing an online advice of resiliation, I was asked to send a registered letter of resiliation, which I did the following day.

This resulted in a reply letter dated 10 March, received on 20 March, advising me that I was being charged a 45€ TTC fee for "frais de fermeture", and to return the equipment supplied, for receipt by SFR before 29 March, after which date it would be charged for and become my property.

I packed and posted their box and wiring, etc. the following day and sent it by urgent registered post.

I found the 45€ fee was mentioned in the General Conditions sent to me after my old account with Tele2 was transferred to SFR. I guess I should have read them more carefully.

Next, I had to discuss the whys and wherefores by telephone with 2 different, very insistent, people determined to keep my custom. I played along with these to avoid jeopardising the process, as I suspected that otherwise my request might just get "filed away" as a delaying tactic, but I did refuse to give details of my new address or supplier.

I received their final Facture dated April 10. My account was charged up to March 10, so I continued to pay until they acknowledged my resiliation letter. They refunded the monthly charge pro rata, but charged for the calls to request and facilitate the resiliation, plus the 40€ above.

Not exactly easy. But probably the best to be expected.