WiFi responsibility on Orange Pro

Do any of you have Orange Pro, and so can answer a quick question?

With my ordinary internet I am responsible for any Wifi connections, and so have to protect it with a password  because if anyone does something illegal  (downloading, menacing emails etc) I am responsible for what happens on my account.

How does this work on a Pro account where the whole point is to give customers (of say a B&B or Café) access by Wifi? Obviously they could be doing dodgy  things on your IP. Is the account holder still responsible?

I know with Free there is a system of hotspots by which another free.fr customer can connect to my hotspot but is identified because they have their own log in details.  Is there something similar with Orange Pro, or is the owner of the line totally responsible?

I ask as some friends of mine have just opened a café restaurant and have Orange Pro, but hadn't realised the potential danger of giving out their Wifi details to customers...

Thanks Danny, something I could do with. I have followed the instructions but at the moment it seems my Livebox 2 has not been updated. I tried resetting it like they suggested but still no good. At a quick glance it also mentions speed of your Internet connection and that it will not be allowed if your speed is too low although it does not appear to say what the minimum speed is.

It may not be available yet in your area.

You should receive an email from Orange to let you know it is functioning.

If it is, there will be an option in your Espace client to activate or disable it

Look in mon compte/mes services and you will see "wifi partagé" if is available. You can activate it from there.

Danny

I went down the orange pro route a few months ago with the idea to remove my responsibility of client downloads.

It works by allowing you to be a hotspot, however, what I did not realise is that the person wanting to use the internet has to pay orange.  So, it is not like a free internet cafe, it is more like an airport lounge where you buy time.  The person wishing to use the internet goes to an orange.fr page and gives their credit card details to orange who in turn allow them to use your live box.... so nought for you.

I have since turned it off as I believe a paying wifi service would be frowned upon by our clients.

btw: I was told by a guy at devolo.fr that they have a box that makes the internet user responsible by tracking who and what is downloaded but it was several hundreds of euros and I did not choose that either.

The conclusion was to trust that our clients use it appropriately.

That makes sense osie, since with the Free.fr hotspot system only people who are free.fr subscribers themselves and so have their own access code can use the hotspot. On the other hand there is no option to pay for those who are not free  customers. It is more a sharing system between freenautes.

[quote user="osie"]I was told by a guy at devolo.fr that they have a box that makes the internet user responsible by tracking who and what is downloaded[/quote]Unless it's by making them register first with an instantly verifiable piece of ID, essentially a credit card then, I don't really see how that works.

I believe that with orange hotspot anyone can pay but I have a feeling that it may be free for orange customers...

For the effort it would take to explain this to everybody and get disgruntled non-orangers, I decided not to bothers.

I bet you could have a logon page for anyone who logs into your router and this login page stores their ip address.... That maybe a fun techy challenge for the winter...

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="osie"]I was told by a guy at devolo.fr that they have a box that makes the internet user responsible by tracking who and what is downloaded[/quote]Unless it's by making them register first with an instantly verifiable piece of ID, essentially a credit card then, I don't really see how that works.

[/quote]

Not sure... I recall it being a bit of hardware that the devolo guy said was 'obligatory' for about 600€.  As all person, would have already provided their details when booking a room  maybe it would be just a case of taking their room number.

However, on further questioning it didnt sound like it would be worth the money for my little place.

[quote user="NormanH"]Thank you Danny exactly what is required.

I presume that this means that unless you have this 'hotspot' system working the access to normal Wifi is at the account holder's risk?

[/quote]

exactly, Norman.

Danny

Some time ago somebody talked about this in the B&B or Gite part of the forum. Rather than go down this route you can use software which controls internet access and blocks certain sites from which you can download 'suspect' amounts of large data. One I found is linked below and there are others. The better ones are not cheap but then they are designed more for hotels.

http://www.mypublicwifi.com/publicwifi/en/index.html

Basically they don't allow direct access to your existing wifi but create a new access point via a PC.