Apache Open Office

Thank you for that quick response. I've just bought a new laptop and never pay for application programmes.

My wp/ssheet requirements are fairly basic and I've used Open Office for some time now so I don't want to start using different software. New tricks and old dogs,

[quote user="Benjamin"]Quick question. Is Apache Open Office the same as Open Office, the free application from Google?[/quote]

"Open Office"(Oo) was owned by Oracle originally, and became "Apache Open Office" (AOO) when Oracle transferred Open Office to Apache Software.

Some developers feared this would mean Apache might make users pay for Open Office and created Libre Office as a pre-emptive strike. They were almost identical at first and Libre Office has now become the free office suite of choice for those who want a free alternative to MS Office Suite.

I use Open Office, as it is still free and offers more than enough for my needs.

Thanks for the additional information, especially the "history".

As a non-techie I'm struggling to cope with the move from Windows Vista Home Basic to Windows 8 so I have enough on my plate without having to worry too much about the sources of software.   [:D]