iPlayer 'live' programmes via Expatshield

Apparently if you install I Player in the UK on any device you can then use it Internationally (with the exception of some sport events).

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/outside_the_uk/

I wonder if you remove I Player from your computer and then download and install it via a UK proxy server it would then work?

When searching I noticed a couple of websites mentioning that the recent release of Chrome does not support I Player and that there is also a problem with the latest version of Adobe Air.

[quote user="Quillan"]

Apparently if you install I Player in the UK on any device you can then use it Internationally (with the exception of some sport events).

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/outside_the_uk/

I wonder if you remove I Player from your computer and then download and install it via a UK proxy server it would then work?

When searching I noticed a couple of websites mentioning that the recent release of Chrome does not support I Player and that there is also a problem with the latest version of Adobe Air.

[/quote]

Where does it say that then? It actually says ".....if you have previously downloaded a programme onto your laptop or portable hard drive....."

Isn't Jay pointing out the difference between a "programme" (TV broadcast) and a "program" (computer application) ?

You could download a television programme to watch later perhaps? I've given up on iPlayer.

The way I understand it when you search through the BBC website and watch a program it first downloads the IPlayer software and installs it if your using a PC.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/where_to_get_iplayer/computers/

"Select a programme and click download. First time users will need to install the BBC iPlayer Desktop software by following the simple prompts."

This also enables you to download programs and watch them off-line for up to 30 days. To do this you need to be in the UK when you first download and install it after which you can bring it with you to France.

If you have an IPhone or IPad you can use the international version from BBC World, for more information

http://www.youtube.com/BBCiplayerglobal

Sadly there does not appear to be an Android (International) version yet unless I missed it.

[quote user="Quillan"]Whats the point of downloading it if you don't install it? If you install it in the UK you would more than likely have downloaded it in the UK. If you don't install it you can't use it or am I missing something.[/quote]

You certainly are missing something. If you download a programme (for instance Top Gear) you can play it on your computer using the iPlayer desktop program. If you downloaded a programme in the UK then you have a certain length of time to view it even if you are travelling abroad.

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="Quillan"]Whats the point of downloading it if you don't install it? If you install it in the UK you would more than likely have downloaded it in the UK. If you don't install it you can't use it or am I missing something.[/quote]

You certainly are missing something. If you download a programme (for instance Top Gear) you can play it on your computer using the iPlayer desktop program. If you downloaded a programme in the UK then you have a certain length of time to view it even if you are travelling abroad.
[/quote]

I fear we are talking at cross purposes here, try reading my post before yours, as that is what I said but you still need the program or software if you would prefer me to call it. As it says the program (software) is automatically downloaded and installed when you watch a program but you need to do this the first time in the UK after which it will work in France (as an example). It's all explained in the links I gave.

It matters not one jot where you download the iPlayer desktop program. All the BBC are saying is that if you download a TV programme - as in something you want to watch - and you go abroad taking that specific TV programme with you, you are still able to watch that particular TV programme on your computer.

I suggest you read http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/outside_the_uk/download_uk

In particular ....................

If you download a programme to your laptop or a portable hard drive, you

can watch this wherever you are in the world. However, you will only be

able to download new programmes once you return to the UK.

Not really, I have just been doing some checking. I don't use IPlayer and don't have it on my PC however Mrs 'Q' has it on her new Nexus tablet (bought eight weeks ago in London) and she has no problems watching BBC programs (not just downloaded TV programs) via IPlayer here in France. I have tried it on my Android phone and it won't install because it immediately says I am not in the UK. The only  difference between the two is that hers comes from the UK and she used hers to watch TV on IPlayer when she was in the UK before she bought it to France. I know about storing TV programs, it explains it very well on the BBC website which is up to 30 days. She does not use a proxy server either, she wouldn't even know what one is.

Anyway did anyone get their Expat shield working and what the problem was?

Q - May I suggest a brilliant business opportunity for you. Get a friend in the UK to download the iPlayer desktop program onto a load of cheap USB sticks, send them over here and then you can sell them at say 30€ each to people who want to watch BBC on their computers.

[quote user="Jay"]Q - May I suggest a brilliant business opportunity for you. Get a friend in the UK to download the iPlayer desktop program onto a load of cheap USB sticks, send them over here and then you can sell them at say 30€ each to people who want to watch BBC on their computers.

[/quote]

Now your being silly. Just go back and read the links, it explains it all there.