Changing from Free to Newmericable

Hi, I am changing from Free as I found their speeds gradually and gradually slowing down to nothing.  Apparently with their offers on mobiles and being the pioneers they got far too many customers and now cannot give the service.

When I look on their website it says I have to send them a form telling them i no longer want to use them.  I have done this but it also said I have to send the freebox back by post (it weighs 7kg) by 'accuse de reception.  Is this right?  I mean when I got the thing I picked it up from Intermarche.  Surely they should arrange the same?  This is gonna cost a packet.  Also they want 49 euros cancellation.  Seems ridiculous. How do they get away with it?

By the way be wary when you change supplier as they cut you off without notice.

All companies do this.  I had SFR cut off my phone before I even got my new sim card.  They do not give you any warning and plus I got cut off without even having sent back my contract.

[quote user="Georgina"]Hi, I am changing from Free as I found their speeds gradually and gradually slowing down to nothing.  Apparently with their offers on mobiles and being the pioneers they got far too many customers and now cannot give the service.[/quote]

We are long-time (and current) Numericable abonnés: just be aware that they have worked hard to earn the nickname "Misericable" - it's worth while looking at forums to see what the state of the service is in your area - in some areas they inherited networks that were in a dire state of maintenance and it took time to get an acceptable service. SAV used to be in their local shops: recently I noticed that whereas before you could gently shake a knowledgeable network guy by the throat in their shops, they now are banished to the nether regions of Lieu-dit "Nulle Part", near Introuvable-dans-les-Champs. Having said that, I suspect that they are now no worse than the competition.

[quote user="Georgina"]When I look on their website it says I have to send them a form telling them i no longer want to use them.  I have done this but it also said I have to send the freebox back by post (it weighs 7kg) by 'accuse de reception.  Is this right?  I mean when I got the thing I picked it up from Intermarche.  Surely they should arrange the same?  This is gonna cost a packet.  Also they want 49 euros cancellation.  Seems ridiculous. How do they get away with it?

[/quote]

I'm afraid that it seems to be that way "because they can". Is the Freebox really that heavy? If so, then it will cost you approx 20€ for Colissimo Recommandé with 600€ insurance (if you look around you will see anecdotes of Free charging people 4-500€ for non-return of a Freebox)

[quote user="Georgina"]By the way be wary when you change supplier as they cut you off without notice. All companies do this.  I had SFR cut off my phone before I even got my new sim card.  They do not give you any warning and plus I got cut off without even having sent back my contract.

[/quote]

I would also stop their debit authority at your bank - mine allows you to do it on line.

[quote user="Georgina"]Hi, I am changing from Free as I found their speeds gradually and gradually slowing down to nothing.  Apparently with their offers on mobiles and being the pioneers they got far too many customers and now cannot give the service.

[/quote]

Are you sure?

I found my speed diminishing so I phoned the helpline who tested it against the notional speed and agreed that it wasn't right, so they sent a chap round who found that there was a poor connection where the line came into the garage. He said that this is often the case after a couple of years as the wires in and out of the box corrode.

In any case my speed went back up to around 18 immediately.

I think the stories about Free not being able to cope are disinformation spread by their disgruntled competitors...

[quote user="Georgina"]it also said I have to send the freebox back by post (it weighs 7kg) by 'accuse de reception.  Is this right?  I mean when I got the thing I picked it up from Intermarche.  Surely they should arrange the same?  This is gonna cost a packet.  Also they want 49 euros cancellation.  Seems ridiculous. How do they get away with it?

[/quote]

SFR also charge €49 cancellation charge, so that's probably the same for all the companies, but often the new company covers your expenses. Don't Free send you a pre-paid label to return the modem? That's what SFR do.

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="Pommier"]Don't Free send you a pre-paid label to return the modem? That's what SFR do.[/quote]

From what I have seen on various fora, Free do not do that.

[/quote]

Yeah Free turns out to be quite expensive.

I have checked the speeds in our area and they are appalling, so no it is not that it can get better

I am outraged at having to fork out to send this back by post as it weighs a great deal. Pity they do not have an unfair contract law like they do in England