Astra 2F Discussion Here Please!

Just got down to the south again ( 34 )no signal at all,when we left to go back to Devon in the end of July everything was working fine.Checked that the dish ( 80 mm mesh ) had not moved, cable,etc all ok,changed LNB,slight signal,changed to 80 mm solid dish,good signal, but not good quality,replaced cable also now good quality, box is an old grundig hope this may be of use to someone

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ DNALLEY

Sounds like your installation was at the end of its life! 

Will be interesting to see how you fare when the BBC etc move to 2E - assuming the launch is successful.   We won't know until at least the beginning of November,  maybe some weeks after that in fact.    As you probably know,   the key is whether you can currently get Channel 5 and "FourSeven" - they are the best indicators of what reception of the important free to air channels will be like when the migration takes place....

Don't know about HD - the version I came to on 11.023 MHz was 4:3 with the side edges cut off....

Couldn't be bothered to look for another version - it said Astra 2E launch on the parameters.    Maybe I was unlucky.

Still,   it's left earth and separated from its launch firework,  so although there are still things to go wrong they've got past the most dangerous parts of the operation.....

There was an Astra 2E launch HD channel at 11626 and the HD feed from ilslaunch was FTA at 10 east. Don't know why they changed parameters, the same happened with the Astra 2F launch.

It is now up to the guys in Toulouse to gain control over the vehicle, deploy the solar panels, move it from transfer orbit into geostationary orbit and then to the test location at 42.5 east. As you say: there is still a lot that can go wrong...

Meanwhile, SES are currently moving the 'eutelsat' channels to Astra1N, out of the disputed frequency range.  Then the Astra2F transponders will be switched 'on' in the disputed frequency band and, when they prove to be functional , the Astra1N transponders are switched 'off' again a week later.

That means the channels will be on three different frequencies in one week period. Sky and Freesat boxes should follow automatically.

It really is a merry-go-round.   Thankfully I don't think any of the channels concerned are ones I could care a jot about.  But it really is all change up there.

It will be interesting to see what they do with 2C,  already getting quite long in the tooth and one of the most under-used sats of the Astra fleet.   Bet they wish they could have brought it back to earth and fitted more spot beams to it.......

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know where 2E is at the moment? I know it was put in a different place to start with and for testing but I wondered if it had been moved to it's final resting place. The reason I ask is because we lost ITV for a while last night with no signal being received. All other channels were OK including those on 2F and ITV+1. I just wondered if they moved it to 2E for testing. The time was around 23:30 CET.

Oops forgot to say it was back this morning.

2E is testing at 43.5 East but carriers only, no picture.

And...testing from Toulouse even continues during the weekend this time. That did not happen when 2F was testing there[:)]

It will be a while before the 2E is at 28 E. On the 2F schedule it should be operational on November 22, but as they are working overtime, it could be sooner.