Alternatives to Orange?

A lot depends on where you are for what is available to you.

You have much more choice if you live in a town in a 'zone dégroupée'.

I use Free and am happy with the service but you need to find if they serve you.

http://portail.free.fr/   

put in your number and see which offer they come up with

Another reasonable one is SFR/neuf is similar

http://adsl.sfr.fr/#sfrintid=V_univ_int

Frying pans and fires come to mind but yes, why do you want to change ?

There is no such animal as the 'best' ISP and for every recommendation you might receive there will be an equal disillusioned user who will tell you to avoid so and so like the plague.

I think it depends on where you live. Our neighbour has the business package yet ours was fixed quicker than his mainly because as soon as I got the exchange number from the support desk I could go to the Orange shop and get a replacement. He had to wait nearly a day for the engineer to come. I think if you are nearer to an Orange shop than the engineers base your better off with a normal contract. If it is the other way round then get the business package.The line speed is the same and the only benefit I can see is you can have more than one phone number. If you're worried about missing calls if the system crashes then do what we do. Go into your account and select call forwarding and enter your mobile number instead of voicemail. If you're out the calls get forwarded and if you lose power to your house they are also call forwarded.

By the way there are quite few companies phoning up (or emailing) offering Orange Pro and actually they have nothing to do with Orange. If you want a Pro account use the Orange website.

Make sure you are getting like for like..

There are several different levels of service from Free, and different boxes according to the maximum speed you might be able to get.

I have the Freebox Revolution which is the top of their range one for town users like my self and I get around 18Mb speed according to speedtest.

In the country Free is only available with a lower grade package so we went for SFR where we get about 14 Mb

Both of these are the 'triple play' option with Internet/TV/ telephone but no separate Orange line. I hardly need that as we have 3G/4G available for the mobile phones.

Some people in the country prefer to keep the standard line as a backup telephone if the Internet phone goes down..

But you can opt to keep the Orange line open as an extra, or just have the telephone as VOIP.

In that case if the Internet goes off so does the telephone.

As I said if you have a strong mobile signal that isn't a problem bit lost in the country it might be.