Downloading from iplayer?

Have been just about able to watch Happy Valley on the iplayer via the Hola extension on Chrome, but since our internet connection is on the slow side, it was pretty much stop/start, very frustrating. I tried to download it from iplayer, but although the BBC iplayer download app was evident, and the episode appeared on the list of downloads on the app, nothing happened and it didn't download. There were no pop-ups asking me to authorise the download, etc, so I presume something was blocking the download without telling me. Is there a way for us here in France to download from iplayer to watch (seamlessly) later? Any advice much appreciated.

I've had some odd things happen with iplayer downloads and Chrome.  Seems to work better with IE7 or IE8.

Something easy to try is when you start to watch 'Happy Valley' (I have no idea what this is) click 'Pause' for a minute or so.  This will bufer enough of the feed that it will play without stuttering.  As long as the download bar is ahead of the play bar you should be OK

Hi, thanks for that, I've tried doing the pause thing whilst streaming but nothing much happens for some reason. Will try again to download via IE but won't I need some sort of proxy VPN like I have with Hola on Chrome?

Happy Valley is a series set in W Yorks with Sarah Lancashire as a community PC with numerous other problems. It was recommended and the first episode I watched last night was promising.

It seems Hola should work with IE : from techspot :

For travellers, the Hola Unblocker enables watching native content from

anywhere in the world -- available as a Chrome/Firefox extension or as a

Windows client install that works with any browser.

How do I use the Hola Unblocker on Windows?

Install Hola for Windows, then hover over the Hola tray icon and

choose Hola Unblocker. This will open the Hola Unblocker page in your

default browser, allowing you to select the websites you wish to access.

Select the site, then click the link. The Hola client for Windows works

with any browser and includes the Hola Web Accelerator.

Edit : the most recent IE is 11; IE7 and 8 are years old !

Sue

Thanks for the advice. Even with Media Hint through Chrome I can watch the program on iplayer but it will not download it to iplayer downloads. I can't get Hola to recognise that I have IE as well as chrome so it just defaults to the chrome extension. Don't want to necessarily use yet another browser, am I missing something here? I would have thought that if I can watch the programme via a VPN proxy then downloading should be straightforward enough.

Must admit I have not tried downloading until now and it does not work. If you press "pause" then "resume" I get a message "Temporary error". I suspect your VPN only works with the browser. iPlayer downloads is a completely separate program that accesses the net through your own ISP and is therefore blocked because you are not in the UK.

I may be wrong. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will come along.