Insurance for mobile phone

I have an iphone which I got in the UK and can't insure with the sim provider there. I know that in England you can put them on the house insurance so we went to see the agent here who provides all our insurance; car, mutuelle and house. She reacted with horror at the idea that they could provide insurance for a phone and insisted they could only be insured with the sim provider and this was also true for the ipads (which are wifi and don't have a provider, but she didn't understand that).

Any ideas about where we can get insurance against theft, loss or damage?

We do have separate travel insurance with a UK based company (which our agent couldn't supply either), so that provides cover when we are away from home.

I have not specifically asked our Allianz agent but their advert (French tv) for some months showed a man panicking because he could not find his mobile phone and the Allianze lady (in a meeting with the man) told him "of course it is covered by us" - we assumed on the house insurance. Which insurer are you using Emily?

Do you have a bank account that offers perks such as mobile phone insurance? My UK one does, so I have registered it with them. But then I am only a holiday- home owner, so in UK most of the time, and I haven,t checked what my French bank offers along those lines.

Angela

Not sure about the bank account, but we are French resident so it would be CA. The phone isn't with Orange or Free so they won't cover it and they are expensive. I bought the phone in England. I have found quite a few English companies who do it for about £65 a year, but can't find anything similar in France.

[quote user="EmilyA"] The insurance broker suggested that the answer was to take care of it, as if selling insurance for it was a completely bizarre idea![/quote]

I agree with him so I guess that I would not make a successfull insurance broker, independant Financial advisor, estate agent etc.

Nice to know there are still a few people around like him.

If you do find someone in France to take your money for insurance you can sleep content in the knowledge that you wont be getting any back if you ever have to claim [:D]

I'd never thought about insuring mobile phones ... but then I don't leave it around and when with me it is either in my hand  being used, or in my bag ... tidied away.  But then, I don't use it that much either!

I suppose it depends on how precious it is to you ... but I'll ask around and see what people say.

£69 beer tokens would replace our phones anyway?

And as for trusting insurance companies Idun? Of course you can trust them every time in that you can trust them to take yer cash and give you as little of it when yu claim as they possible can! After all, they aren't in the money game to give it away [:-))]

[quote user="EmilyA"]I have Find My Iphone on, but the trouble is that all they have to do is turn it off! The insurance broker suggested that the answer was to take care of it, as if selling insurance for it was a completely bizarre idea![/quote]

Well they haven't quite got the grasp of mobile phones or business opportunities in france, still stuck with stiking so some way to go.

I have seen two Iphones die last week, £500 computers made of two sheets of glass, Clever Apple.  Both phones slipped out of jacket pockets as people removed them in the warm weather of London.

Mine is with me or in my bag too, but accidents and theft do happen.

As my daughter had insured my granddaughter's iphone for £3 a month on their home insurance in England, I thought it was worth asking our insurers here. Silly me!

After ten years here, I still get taken aback occasionally by the complete lack of customer service.

I realise a lot of people are content with cheaper phones and I repect their choice, but I love Apple and my shiny, green iphone, so there!

It also occurs to me that some people perhaps haven't realised that my iphone also serves as my still and movie camera, SatNav, journey planner, access to internet, bank accounts, Facetime for contact with family etc.

It isn't just a telephone you know!

Careful, people with glass phones should'nt throw stones [Www] I don't own anything apple, it's a personal choice as apple stole the Ipod design from a friend of ours in the UK and to date still haven't paid him a penny even though he helped apple in the court case against Samsung.  I am just glad there are alternatives like android as I must admit the iphone apart from the glass is a good tool.

Unfortunately IPhones are amongst the most stolen items in in urban areas anywhere in the world (lucky I have a Samsung). If you are worried about the data falling into the wrong hands both Apple and Android phones can be 'wiped' remotely. The difference between the two is Apple requires you to use ICloud and activate the ability on the tablet/phone where Android doesn't need anything done on the tablet/phone.  Also Android allows you to tell the tablet/phone to do a factory reset i.e. delete data and reinstall from scratch then blocks the ESN. Only 'problem' is that I read the other day that police who removed Android phones from the evidence room to produce in court found that when they switched them on the data got delete. I read that the standard procedure now for the police is to carry them in microwave ovens at it blocks the signal. I had this vision of them turning up in court with half a dozen microwave ovens in a major drug case. Puts a whole different view on 'cooking' meths. [:'(]

Yes personal choice as you say. Having had to use BBC, Acorn and PCs through my career, I returned with joy to Apple as soon as I retired. Now use MacMini, ipad and iphone.

It was quite clear that the insurance agent didn't get it at sll. Maybe I should have asked to insure Minitel!

Have got icloud set up Quillan (have just had a look on find my iphone to see where OH has gone to pick mushrooms!).

The thing is that if a UK contents insurance is prepared to insure the same phone for £3 a month why can't the French? Surely the calculations are similar?

Quillan where did you here that?  Not seen any microwaves (faraday sheilds) used by any officers and they are generally far to plod to even understand.  A photographic bag (lead lined ) would be far easier but as soon as the phone is switched on it would do the reset so a screened room would be needed to interrogate the phone.

[quote user="Théière"]
Quillan where did you here that?  Not seen any microwaves (faraday sheilds) used by any officers and they are generally far to plod to even understand.  A photographic bag (lead lined ) would be far easier but as soon as the phone is switched on it would do the reset so a screened room would be needed to interrogate the phone.
[/quote]

I was going to say The Daily Wail as Mrs Q sent me a link but because mentioning the DM here is taboo I found the following link. [;-)]

http://www.itgovernance.co.uk/blog/phone-evidence-remotely-wiped-in-police-stations/

[quote user="EmilyA"]Have got icloud set up Quillan (have just had a look on find my iphone to see where OH has gone to pick mushrooms!). The thing is that if a UK contents insurance is prepared to insure the same phone for £3 a month why can't the French? Surely the calculations are similar?[/quote]

It is not just a matter of having ICloud setup you need to activate something on your device to make this facility function.

This link is a step by step with pictures on what to do on the tablet/phone etc. If you don't do this it will not work.

http://www.cultofmac.com/266448/remotely-wipe-iphone-data-stolen-ios-tips/

This is the official Apple document but it does not mention you need to activate "Find My Phone" on the device.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph2701