Disabled and thinking of moving to France

Hi I have had ME for four years and rheuatoid arthritis for 6 months. My daughter and I are thinking of moving to France for a few years. She can speak french while I would have to learn. We are hoping the heat would help my condition. I can afford to buy a house. I know I will still get the care payment but not the mobility payment. Can you please tell me what other things we should consider. My daughter is 20 and I am 51. Thank you for your advice.

Welcome to the forum.

My feeling is that the best thing you can do is look up some annual temperature charts for the area you intend moving to because even the Riveria can be bitterly cold...if its warmth you are after you may need to look at countries further South,

The second thing to worry about is your healthcare provision and if you would be likely to qualify for an S1 ..........

I would agree with RH that if warmth is the main reason for coming to France then you might want to consider other places such as Cyprus or Malta.

I am in a very sunny part of the Languedoc, but even with a lovely day of sunshine we often get a strong tramontane

wind which is bitterly cold off the mountains. It is nice in the sun out of the wind, but it couldn’t be called warm.

In addition France is poorly equipped for people with any sort of mobility problem, with few of the aids you might be used to in the UK.

As you are well under retirement age you world also have be sure that you and your daughter could get health care,and how it will be paid for. In addition you may find that your condition is regarded or treated differently. I believe there are some Forum members with experience of MS in France, but I have the impression that ME is much less recognised than in the UK.

Have you considered a long-term rental rather than making the leap straight away?

That would  let you change your plans if you found things weren't quite what you expect.

Best wishes if you do decide to come here, but please keep your eyes open.

[quote user="NormanH"]Have you considered a long-term rental rather than making the leap straight away?

That would  let you change your plans if you found things weren't quite what you expect.

[/quote]

That is really sound advice.

My OH and I rented for a long time here in Brittany before finding a house that we knew would suit us at a price we could afford. This we did because I have arthritis just about everywhere, but especially badly in the neck, and, for me, the very high temperatures of the summer and the cold winters in the south of France would not suit me. It is true that, on balance, France is generally warmer than the UK but not by as much as you might think.

Health cover is not a given either. Unlike the UK where just being resident entitles you to cover/care this is not true here.

Please do not be deterred but do lots and lots of research before you take the plunge.

Best wishes

Sue

Also, is your daughter going to have to study or perhaps to work?

This is not to dampen your enthusiasm but I believe that you need to consider this aspect of your proposed move.  I know that many people are bored in France in winter so taking your daughter's youth and interests into account might influence where you might wish to live. 

I totally agree with the previous posters in that if winter warmth is one of your primary motivators, France is not sufficiently far south.

I am on the Cote D'Azur and the last few weeks has seen snow and freezing temperatures right down to the coast!

However, the most important factor to investigate is health care, as early retirees moving to France usually have to take out private health care insurance, which may not be possible if you have an existing chronic illness.

Last but not least, France is not anything like as disabled accessible or friendly as the UK, to the extent that disabled toilets and ramps outside major cities are rare.

Thank you for the welcome. Can you tell me more about the S1 please. I am going to do LOTS of research before we do anything. I think a long let would be a good idea. Take care. Keep the good advice coming x I know it is not always warm in France. Does any one know how I can find a long rent? \thank you x

As far as I am aware, unfurnished property is always rented out for 3 years minimum.

Re finding somewhere, it is the same as the UK, rental agencies, the internet, local newspapers and little adverts in shop windows.

Even if you get an S1 to cover your health care, will your daughter?? she'll need to have two years NI contributions???? or there abouts (call Newcastle and ask),  if not then she will need private health care.  Also she will not receive any dole money in France without having worked in France.

tottongirl, unless you are registered disabled I don't believe you will be entitled to an S1 until you reach State retirement age at 65+.

Back in 2006, France moved against inactif Brits moving before retirement age to France by stopping them qualifying for French health care, until they have been legally resident in the country five years. Even after 5 years it can be a struggle.

For those five years to be legally resident as an inactif you must have fully comprehensive private medical insurance. The problem that you have with your current medical conditions, is that you will find it difficult or even impossible to find the legally required comprehensive medical insurance.

As for the weather, winters in France away from the coast can be colder than many areas of the southern UK.

When idun says that properties are rented out for 3 years that means that the owner can't boot you out before 3 years, i.e it isn't 6 month shorthold tenancies.  You on the other hand could give 3 months notice at any time.

Here is one site with adverts for lets:

http://www.leboncoin.fr/locations/offres/languedoc_roussillon/?f=a&th=1&mre=600&sqs=5&ros=3&ret=1&ret=2

[quote user="NormanH"]When idun says that properties are rented out for 3 years that means that the owner can't boot you out before 3 years, i.e it isn't 6 month shorthold tenancies.  You on the other hand could give 3 months notice at any time.

Here is one site with adverts for lets:
http://www.leboncoin.fr/locations/offres/languedoc_roussillon/?f=a&th=1&mre=600&sqs=5&ros=3&ret=1&ret=2
[/quote]

Also, long-term lets are usually unfurnished, and that sometimes means there is no kitchen, only a sink.