Kindle firmware update.

There's a Kindle firmware update out now that means that if you are on a lower than the latest level you may not be able to use your Kindle after the 22nd March, this Tuesday, until the update is installed.

You can check the level on your by tapping the top of your touch/paperwhite screen and then on the 3 little verticle dots, top right,  then settings, 3 little dots again and Device Info. Note the Firmware Version.

I was part way through going through the sequence, but the easiest way to get the update done is to go to the contact page on Amazon U.K. site and request a phone back. It's pretty well instantaneous and they talk you through the procedure.. I did all 3 of ours with their help, from S Africa by the way!!

That's how it should work, but you have to have 'Airplane Mode' switched off. If it's on it won't connect. Ours is normally on because it uses battery power and runs it down quicker..

Even if you miss the cut-off you can still do it manually.

Hmm, just tried this reading JJ's initial post. Was a bit confused about the "vertical dots", as on my Kindle Paperwhite I could only see horizontal stripes... Anyway, substituting these for the dots, I did get to the "device info" page, then I tapped the "what's new" button at the bottom - to find a message saying my Kindle Paperwhite has been updated. ?

Thanks for the info, JJ.

Angela

[quote user="Judith"]to which model(s) of kindle does this relate, please?

[/quote]

If you go to your amazon account, immediately under the search box at the top on the right hand end click on 'Help'

On the Help screen click on 'Kindle (5th Generation) s/ware updates

Now there's a list of models down the very left hand side. Select your model and the next screen gives you the option to download the update. You can see the latest level for yours there.

If yours needs the update then it's easier to turn Airplane mode off, plug in the charger and leave it to do its own thing overnight me-thinks.. Otherwise it's about 104 or 5 meg download to your PC if you choose the manual upgrade, then onto your Kindle..

I wasn't sure what the hell was going on with our 6th generation modles, because the list of if you need or not said ours didn't, but apparently ours did and they then got it!!

If your Kindle is registered then you should have had an email notifying you of this - if it's necessary for your device.

Keyboard Kindles should be on 3.4.2 and non keyboard 4.1.3

[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200529700[/url]

[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200774090[/url]

Ernie I would suggest that you look at this page and have a look at the left hand side for your model, as ours are 6th gen paperwhite and now on the latest level of 5.7.3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201994710&pf_rd_p=860690107&pf_rd_s=nav-sitewide-msg&pf_rd_t=4201&pf_rd_i=navbar-4201&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=5J140JVD3NDQBFA5Z7Y1

The whole thing is a total jar of worms and if you have any doubts then get a call back from amazon. You get to it from your account. It isn't the easiest thing to find, but follow the help selections

I haven't checked it out but this looks like the keyboard version 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200529700

Don't forget that even if you don't get it installed automatically by the cutoff you can still do the manual jobbie and as I have said that's far easier if you get the amazon call back. It costs you nowt and they are very efficient..

Have fun!!

You're right JJ but I was only really talking about the basic Kindles which is what we have, not Paperwhite or Touch.

You can find your actual model number on the back and be guided by that but you'll probably need a magnifying glass though !

I don't know why you call it a jar of worms and your URL to the keyboard version is in fact the same as mine.

Personally I've yet to actually buy a book from Amazon so as long as USB works - and that's not going to change - whether it connects via WiFi or not is really of no concern [;-)]

thanks all.  i'm on 3.4.1 so obviously need to update.  have just tried, but it doesn;t look as though its working so think it will have to be a call back / chat after lunch ...

However, I've downloaded the software to my desktop, can I just transfer it (to which folder though?) as I do when I transfer books across???

EDIT at 16.30 - my kindle keyboard is now up to date.  It did need a chat with customer services, but in fact if they had said in the instructions just to download the file and copy it to your kindle folder as is, then set the kindle off to update it would have been easy enough to do without needing their help. 

Wifi update did not work for me, and it made the kindle freeze, so much easier to download the software and do it manually!

Phew! I can now relax and go back to enjoying my book!

Thanks everyone for your help and for flagging this one up as otherwise I would have missed this update.