Any Staffie Lovers ?

We have just received a call from someone in Deux-Sèvres who rehomed a female Staffie when her owners (English) died.  The person who adopted her four months ago has apparently suddenly decided she does not want her any longer.  She has already tried to take her to the SPA of Poitiers.

She is eight years old and affectionate, but does not like cats.  I hope to soon receive a photo.  She needs urgently to be rescued.  Many thanks.

There are absolutely no and repeat no issues with Staffies in France.  This comes from someone who was brought up in South Wales in mining communities and where terrier types took pride of place. Later in life I moved and was introduced to Bassets and the rest is history for I have owned them for over 40 years.  Then remarried and introduced to Staffies for my wife is from the West Midlands.  I absolutely adore Staffies they are amongst the most intelligent loving and devoted dogs I have ever come across.  They would die for you.

Currently we have Thomas the cat who I rescued then JC the Basset then Bridie the Staffie and then Ellie who we also rescued.

Yes I know I cannot help but just to reinforce the message whoever takes a Staffie on will be rewarded they are amazing dogs.

Following some recent dog incidents,  including a death ,Dominique de Villepin has asked for the laws which control "dangerous dogs" to be reinforced. In the past there have been problems and legal debates about whether a particular dog  should or should not be registered as Catgory 1 or 2. It seems likely that there will be an extension of the registration requirements.

For the present M Sarkozy has instructed the gendarmes to be more energetic in their enforcing of  the curent laws (Registration with Mairie, muzzling, sterilisation etc etc) which apply to American BTs, Pitbulls etc, and I suspect that the  hassle of producing kennel certificates to prove the dogs heritage may put off some potential Staffordshire owners.

Well, thank you very much for possibly putting anyone off saving this poor girl.  These laws have nothing to do with the Staffie.  If you wish to discuss them, please start another thread!

I am sorry, but I am getting very tired of the nitpicking on this forum around any subject which is posted.

BJSLIV, I was well aware of all your kind information before I posted.

It is such a sad situation, I must agree with Christine. These dogs being such devoted pets, she must be heart broken at losing her owners and to be discarded so easily by her new owner is disgusting. [:(]

I wish I could help. I do hope she finds a loving home soon.

I am sorry to have upset you Christine.

Last Friday my dog was attacked by a English owned Rottwieler which was off the lead and unmuzzled.

The stupid owners of tyson [:@] couldn't even abide by the signs telling them not to have dogs on the beach!

This beast charged up to me and my kids  on the dunes and attacked my dog and scared us witless. Luckily a few well aimed prods with my trekking pole send it away and the owners scarped quickly... probably just as well as they'd have had to have my pole sugically removed!

Hence my interest now in what dogs are dangerous or not.

I am sure as English staffie is very different to an American Staffie and will get rehomed. But people do need to be aware of the legislation and as BJSLIV states it is no good if people adopt this dog and then have to jump through hoops trying to prove what it is or isn't.

I have great respect for you and what you do. But I'm sure you will agree that the potential well being of humans has to be put above that of an animal .

Of course the well-being of humans is paramount.  However I spent 40 years (and am still spending some time in the law) and you would be suprised as what depths human beings go to in hurting fellow human beings.  Some times I have had to fight vomitting after reading certain documents. I would far prefer the company of my dogs to some of the individuals who I have seen in my career and who are now guests of Her Majesty.

Of course dogs have individual temperaments but of course they ultimately are in the charge of human beings.  Thus that in part is one of the weaknesses of the system.

There are good and bad dog owners there are owners 'for Christmas' they are owners for a whole host of reasons.  It is no different in the animal kingdom.  Knowledge is all and with the greatest of respect to all contributors unless you have owned a Staffie then you are both missing a great opportunity and also cannot possible comment upon the breed or its attributes.

Final point you have within the UK charities such as the PDSA and the RSPCA.  Of course they put down healthy dogs.  Fact.  I will not support them I support the Dogs Trust who do not put down a healthy dog.

Our dogs are now laying down next to each other in the sunlight which is streaming into our house on top of that hill in Normandie and with the Staffie in between.

Indeed and having heard the story my wife is trying to convince me to take on this Staffie.  I would love to and here no excuses but I think I owe a duty of care to my existing animals and perhaps just perhaps another dog would be a dog too far.  However I am thinking about it.

regards

A general thought, not relating to this poor dog nor its situation, but; I know about the characteristics and requirements of Border Collies (and that is the breed I love and have). I think I will probably always have Border Collies (as long as my health allows anyway). However, others are more open about the breed of dog they have and might not be familiar with the characteristics and requirements of specific breeds. Might it be a thought on posts where dogs are seeking a new home for a brief summary of the breed (e.g. needs 2 hrs running in open spaces twice a day, eats a 15Kg sack of dog food at each mealtime or loves to spend all day in front of a warm fire and eats one, maybe two peanuts per day, etc., average life expectancy xx years, etc.).

I cannot take another dog (and to be honest it would be a Border Collie anyway) but I do hope a home is found soon (as for all dogs in rescue centres). Please do not take the above as a criticism of anything and I'm sure that everybody always checks that a new home can offer what a dog needs before the dog is adopted. However, might be that some people might be more prepared to consider the possibility of offering a home if any misconceptions about any breed were cleared initially ?

Just a thought.

Ian

There's an awful lot of bollox being talked about Staffordshire Bull Terriers on this thread.

Try going to www.cfabas.fr and then clicking on Staffordshire Bull Terriers ( low down left hand side).

I grew up in Staffordshire and remember being licked almost to death by these wonderfully affectionate dogs.

They are, apparently, the fifth most popular breed that were registered with the UK Kennel Club in 2005.

Benjamin

Dear Benjamin I now see you in a differing light.  My Mother in Law lives in Stourbridge and I have seen the most wonderful of Staffies complete with Staffie collars and their unique breastplates.

They are the most affectionate breed of dog I have ever met loyal devoted and just one hell of a dog.

However never ever Crufts champion either in the terrier class or obviously best of show.  However little dogs that one can carry about obviously have.

But that is another tale and I am biased.

I know Stourbridge, my grandparents lived in Drayton near Belbroughton.  I still have an aunt at Chaddesley Corbett.  Before my father married, the family, who I think lived in the Walsall area, had a Staffie and every evening when he had his dinner he always left one biscuit in his bowl to have a game at who would get it with my father when he came home from work.

I've known lots of Staffies and for anyone who is interested in giving Tess a home I can only say you will not regret it.  They are what I call happy dogs and always smiling ! So much fun too, always ready to play.  I've never known an aggressive one yet.  I do hope you find a home for her soon Christine.

Next time you are in Stourbridge, give the French Connection restaurant a try. It is really good food ( lobster bisque best I've ever had) and they have some great theme nights with French regional food. Its in a side road off the ringroad, up the top end of town .

Llwycelyn commented: "However never ever Crufts champion either in the terrier class or obviously best of show"

There are several breeds that will never win Cruffts for "political" reasons. No idea about Staffies but I know that Border Collies will never will Crufts because it is felt that if they did everybody would say "how fantastic" and rush out and get one then find they were not up to handling the dog. Probably other breeds in the same situation. To me that detracts nothing from a breed - I'm not keen on show dogs. I prefer something with a bit of life that the dogs enjoy (e.g. agility or flyball). Seeing dogs (who enjoy such things) charging around enjoying themselves is really fantastic.

A French breeder (not Border Collies, nor Staffies) once told me about how a particular large and guarding breed once one a major show competition in France. The breed concerned is great but you need to know how to handle them and train them or they can be a liability. When this breed won the show a lot of people thought great and started getting them - but they did not have the experience or capabilities and thus the those dogs became quite a problem.

Again - about is nothing to do with Staffies nor their nature.

Ian