STRAY CAT WITH KITTENS!

I have just helped my friend, who is feeding a stray cat in the village, to home three kittens, but could anyone tell me how soon after having kittens before the cat could become pregnant again and how long is the gestation period? Also, how long it would take for a female cat to recover from a spaying operation should our friend decide to go down this path?

Having just been in a similar situation I'll answer what I can.

According to the vet, she can come into season again as soon as 6 weeks after the birth.  (Seemed quick to me).  Gestation - not sure but I think 90 days.  Recovery after being spayed - depends exactly what you mean.  Our was breast feeding again within a couple of hours.  We were told to keep her in for a couple of days to avoid getting infection into the wound.  6 weeks later the fur is growing back.

Again - same situation with me.  A ferral cat adopted us last year and in the spring gave us three identical tabby kittens.   Despite having two of my own domestic cats, and unable to find homes for the others, we have decided to keep them.  Mother cat, 2 female kits and 1 male.

We have now had the mother and two females spayed and the male neutered.  The male took a couple of days to get over the op.  It's a bit longer for the females.  Because they are ferral and live in the barn their stitches had to be bandaged (hilarious to see).  1st three days on antibiotics and then the stitches came out after ten days.  They are all now happy and healthy and beginning to trust me again.

Females can get pregnant pretty quickly again after giving birth and the gestation is 90 days. 

Something very similar is happening at our French holiday house, only the cat belongs to our french neighbour, sort of,  as he reluctantly took her in during the bird flu scare. Then she had 6 kittens (which I am still desperately to try to find homes for) and when we were in France last we found that she was pregnant again, so with a gestation period of 90 days she could already have a litter again when we go to France next. This is becoming a real problem especially as I love cats, my neighbour just shrugs his shoulder and says "it's survival of the fittest". He tells us not to let them into the house, but what if it is really getting cold. I can't bear to think that they are freezing. The pleasure of going to France to our holiday house will soon start turning into a nightmare.

I understand what you mean.  I had found homes for all my wild kittens, but they were so timid it's taken six months to gain their trust - they are still afraid of OH though (but then he is 6ft 4).  I too can't bear the thought of them being out in the cold during the winter, so I've pinched one of my mother in laws old knackered but still comfy wicker garden chairs, thrown a dust sheet over the cushion and put it in the barn in a sheltered corner.  They love it.

As for your female cat, next time you are over, find the nearest vet and get her spayed (usually costs between 40 and 60 Euros, depending on the vet, but it will be worth it for peace of mind).  You will need to be here for more than a week though as the bandage (if your vet does that) needs to stay on for 10 days to give the stitches time to heal.

As for not having them in the house, the cat usually makes up it's mind.  My wild ones come in sometimes to eat, but mainly they get fed in the barn.  They very rarely stay indoors out of choice.

I wish you luck

Thank you for telling me about your experience. That's what we will do, we will take the mother cat to the Vet although she is pregnant, she will lose the babies but she would lose them anyway in the cold winter. We will be there for 10 days. But what shall we do with the six, have them all spayed? I will have to really talk seriously to my neighbour. I am still hoping that I will find homes for at least 4, the neighbour wants to keep two, and we need to encourage him to have them spayed.