Beautiful German Shepherd girl, Deux-Sèvres (79)

I don't understand that. Not judging, but not understanding...

I live in a house tyhat is not so big, and I have my 2 year old boisterous Shadow ( lab X husky) + my cats.   Andf they are happy.. I walk Shadow every day, and I go to the countryside twice a week to let him run freely...

We have a small garden where he can play...    Yes, a dog is OK with his family, wherever he is , as long as they walk him, feed him, and give him a lot of attention ...

Hope this poor female dog will soon be in her new home..

To me, not being able to have another dog makes me sad.. Id REALLY love to ..

Later, when I change house ..

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what's happening then? Lizzie has to be re-homed this week, Spanielle can't take her 'till the 11th of December, that leaves an 11 day gap. Are you taking her temporarily Pimpernel? I hope Lizzie doesn't fall through the gap of misunderstanding.

I'm going to phone the owner today as I have just realised that I have this 17yr old female GSD belonging to my friend staying with me until 18/12/07 now so the 19th would be the earliest I could meet up to take over ownership, not the 11th as planned!  I really daren't risk a defenceless, toothless old dog of this age who can barely walk, with an unknown dog can I?

I was told that it would be fine for her to keep Lizzie for a week or two - providing that it was only for the purpose of finding a new home and not permanently.  So, here's hoping that a 7 day delay won't change things!  Wish me luck!

I still don't understand how people can part with their pets. Could she not have found a rental property which would accept pets?

We are in the process of moving to France and are going to have to live in rental accomodation until we buy our house. There are places that will accept animals,we've found several(and that's with 5 dogs,3cats and 2 horses!

If I couldn't bring my animals with me then I would stay in the U.K They are part of our family.

Any-way Lizzie is the important thing  she has such sad eyes and deserves a really good home. Good luck to whoever adopts her.

I agree with these sentiments. It sounds to me that poor Lizzie deserves a better family than this anyway. It is just very sad that she is also being separated from her companion, the other dog they must dump.[:(]  The problem with people like this is that chances are they will do it again. I personally believe after someone dumps adult animals they should go on some sort of register and have to be seriously vetted before owning more pets in the future. [:@]

[quote user="WJT"]I agree with these sentiments. It sounds to me that poor Lizzie deserves a better family than this anyway. It is just very sad that she is also being separated from her companion, the other dog they must dump.[:(]  The problem with people like this is that chances are they will do it again. I personally believe after someone dumps adult animals they should go on some sort of register and have to be seriously vetted before owning more pets in the future. [:@][/quote]

IMHO you are being very harsh towards the owner who is trying to her best by her animals. You know nothing of the circumstances have driven her to take the decision to rehome these dogs. AFAIAA homes owned by the commune are the cheapest that can be found; so if the owner needs subsidised accommodation then she might well be in very difficult circumstances.

Rant over.

Sue

SPG

I think Christine Animal said they would be moving into a larger house after a year? Some rental places(and some cheap ones )DO take pets.

I still cannot understand people who part with their animals. Personally I would live in a cardboard box than give them up-they.. are part of my family.

I used to do part-time work for R.S.P.C.A  and the reasons some people re-home their animals is outrageous. We would also try to re-home companion dogs together(of course not always possible)

I agree with you SPG but after reading some of the comments made that was not my impression. Particularly the comment of her saying that she would keep it a few more weeks only if she knew someone was taking her as if to say she wouldn't consider it otherwise.

Of course there are circumstances beyond control that would be a reason to get rid of your pets, but like Triciajh, personally it would take something serious for me to consider it. It is just very very sad.[:(]

[quote user="triciajh"]

I still cannot understand people who part with their animals. Personally I would live in a cardboard box than give them up-they.. are part of my family.

[/quote]

Yes me too, but there are often reasons which are not evident.

Even Spanielle wrote:

*** I should like to add that the owner seems a very caring person and is absolutely devastated in parting from her dogs but realises that they'd be happier elsewhere than living in a tiny 1 bedroom, 1 lounge house with little or no garden.  My sympathies are with her.***

Sue

[quote user="WJT"]

Of course there are circumstances beyond control that would be a reason to get rid of your pets, but like Triciajh, personally it would take something serious for me to consider it. It is just very very sad.[:(] [/quote]

I agree it is sad; let's hope a loving home is quickly found for her.

Sue

I do think some posters are being a little harsh in their judgements. I have spoken to the owner and she does seem genuinely and badly upset. I know some of us would rather sleep in a cardboard box than be parted from our pets but everyones circumstances are different.

Anyway as I've said If Spanielle has a problem taking Lizzie I will have her so she will have a home to go to. I currently have a GSD x Retriever and a terrier and previously I had a very large GSD dog for fourteen years. I've had other dogs before but I've never bonded with a dog like I have with a GSD. Anyone who has had one will know what I mean. This may sound daft to some but I honestly believe that my last dog would have died for me and me for him.

Sorry, but I would never choose to live in a carboard box with a dog.  I dont think I could get one big enough to accommodate me and the kids.  If my circumstances changed I would do my best to get the dog rehomed what else could you do?

Ooops sorry forgot, good luck with the rehoming of Lizzie, she looks a wonderful dog.

I know how we all feel about this and the concern for Lizzie is very touching.  Whatever the reasons, I know from experience that once someone has decided to part with their pet, they will do it, one way or another.

Pimpernel, I don't know how to thank you and Spanielle enough, several of us on here share your feelings and what you have lived with a German Shepherd.  Lizzie's future has really been worrying me.  I am really grateful.

I once lived in a car for 5 weeks with one of my dogs as we had sold our house and the narrowboat we had ordered wasnt ready in time and I couldnt find a hotel or B & B that would take him as he was a mean buggar, I actually enjoyed it as we were parked beside our mooring on the canal and it was quite an adventure and a novel way of meeting all my new neighbours who took it in turn to have me to tea each evening .

But as too the lady who has to give up her dog I do think there for the grace of god go you or I, you never know how life will change, and if ever I got into a sitution where I couldnt care for my animals in the way I would want for them I would have to consider it. Hence at the moment we wont be getting another dog until we have decided if and when we are moving permently to france, although I really want to especially when I see ones like poor lizzie. and I see the spare dog bed and bowl it breaks my heart but I still have my little boo and she aint going nowhere[:)]     

Frenchie,

I totally agree that Lizzie is the important one in all this. I just hope her new owner will give her a lot of love and a life-time home.

If I was in France now I would love to give her a home-there's plenty of room in my cardboard box(with the rest of the menagerie) [:)]

As far as I know, Lizzie's future is still not confirmed ?

But for any other German Shepherd lovers, here are two more, males, who really urgently need to be rescued.  They are really good natured and have always been together so need a home or foster home together.  They were abandoned for financial reasons at Béthune, north of France where many dogs are put down, but the Rescue gang manage to save quite a few.  They also look beautiful.  If ever anyone can help, covoiturage can be organised anywhere in France.  I could get them out of there, but where to go ?

http://rescue.forumactif.com/sos-adoptions-urgentes-chiens-f1/2-ba-male-8-et-9-ans-bethune62-urgent-t126085.htm

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

As far as I know, Lizzie's future is still not confirmed ?[/quote]

I don't understand this comment.[8-)] As I understand it Lizzies future is confirmed with Spanielle. If Spanielle has a problem I will have her. As no one has got back to me ,I would think Lizzies future is pretty well confirmed with Spanielle.