She has now heard back from the association dealing with the case

"Quand il n'y a pas d'urgence menaƧant la vie d'un
animal, la procƩdure n'est pas rapide
la ddsv, tout comme les gendarmes par exemple,
fonctionnent aux urgences etc.
Mais ce sera fait, il sera alors notifiƩ Ơ cette famille un avertissement
Ć  partir de lĆ , selon ce qui se passera ensuite, une
proposition de vente ou de retrait peut ĆŖtre proposĆ©e aussi."

"When an animal's life is not in immediate danger, the procedure takes time, the DDSV, like the gendarmes, deal first with emergencies, etc.  But it will be taken care of, the family will receive a warning and depending on what happens after that, the animals can be offered for sale or taken away from their owners."

(Still plodding!)

How very sad for this little chap!! He is still suffering, even as I said in one of my post that he is not a deaths door, his suffering is intolerable.

All we can do is hope that help will not be to long in coming.

I know what I would do here (England), but in an other country you just have to 'go with the flow' and accept the way they do thing even if you don't agree.

This morning I received my news letter from the 'Brook Hospital' (whom I support on a monthly subscription) who help horses, ponies and donkeys in most of the worst places on earth, compared to some of those poor creatures some of whom would be better off dead, our little chap is way down the list, but that doesn't make it any easier for him. We live in a very cruel world and ignorance is no excuse.

It is so sad and incredibly cruel that people have walked  by him daily as Jonzjob said and just carry on without doing anything for the pain this poor little fellow is experiencing. It is just too hard to fathom.[:(]

• 2 months later...

This is horrible.  What kind of people can allow an animal to get to this point?  He looks so very sad and must be in such pain.   And this was reported SO long ago.   This is one of the things that makes me angry about certain French 'rules and regs.'   There must be animal welfare associations who are willing to actually DO something for this animal.    If not, they should be ashamed.   I can't imagine any Vet seeing that photo and not INSISTING something be done.

This is one of the darker sides of France.  And before anyone stones me for saying that, I know these things happen all over the world, but we are not in a third world country here.

[quote user="JSA Aude"]Hi, sorry have only just noticed your post - don't know if this is any help but my vet is also the Blue Cross vet in our area (Carcassonne) and speaks a 'little' english.  Dr. Mondo - surgery is 173 av.F Roosevelt (road from big Leclerc across roundabout towards Carcassonne central). tel: 04 68 25 42 36. [/quote]

Jonzjob, I wanted to ask you if you had seen any change in the pony's situation.  It's hopeless.  Why don't you contact this Blue Cross Vet who could maybe for example go with the maire to see the condition of the animals and ask the owner to do something about it.

Maybe you could let them know about this one too!  I just received this message.  Has anyone been here?

"I  recently visited Carcassonne and paid a visit to the Parc Autralien, which we thought would be a pleasant day out, only to be appaled by what we saw.

The animals in there were extremely unhappy and lived in terrible conditions, particularly a donkey which was in an dreadful state.

It's hooves were so long it could hardly stand let alone walk, it's coat was in a terrible condition, it was so bad that my wife and daughter were reduced to tears.

We could not complain at the site as our French is only minimal and no one there spoke English."

Perhaps the donkey was a Baudet du Poitou, which could explain the coat, but the hooves sound similar to those of the pony.

"Has anyone been here". Yes we went about 18 months ago right at the end of the season. We too were NOT impressed and the donkeys feet were OK, but my daughter and I loosened the poor things collar which had cut into it's neck because it was so tight. The rest of the place was a complete tip, but we thought that it may have been worse because it had been a busy season. That donkey is a real softy too and loves a fuss!!

With this latest report, it would appear that it is the norm !!! Isn't there an authority that things like this can be reported too?

I've just had a look at a couple of web sites for the Baudet du Poitou and what a lovely looking animal they are. I'm afraid that I can't remember enough to say if theis one is that make or not?

We haven't been down that way for a while Christine, but we will see about having a look. If it is still the same we will see if we can getthea vet to look at it as you suggest. That vet is almost directly opposite the nicest bakery in Carcassonne so we can get there OK [:D].

Thank you for the info JSA. I had missed it before.

Another bump for this thread, 7th April - 28th June without anything being mentioned on here....so glad that pony came to my mind and I tracked the thread down to see what had happened.   Fingers crossed a miracle will have happened the next time I look.

• 2 weeks later...

We managed to get along the river today and the distressed pony was not in the field. It's the first time we have not seen it there so can only conclude that 'something' has been done at long last?

Christine, is there any way that your contacts could find out any info on the whereabouts of this poor little thing please?

Hi Christine, I am sorry about the delay, but with the holiday everything went a bit pear shaped!!

We only noticed that the pony with the bad (!!) feet was missing. The donkey, mule and the larger pony were there and looked OK. There was several large bales of hay there for them and they looked alright.

It would be lovely to know wat had happened to the little pony though. I suppose that's going to be one of the unsolved mistries?

If what we have done here has helped the poor animal then that is all we can hope for I suppose?

I know nothing about horses but I find it incredible that the photo John posted of that poor pony of which appears to have been neglected and nothing done for the care of his hooves, has been put down to age. I hope someone here that knows about horses will respond and verify that this is true or even possible.

So now they have just simply put them somewhere out of the publics eye and no help with the pain they are in or the hunger that they now may face. From what I gather from the article you posted Christine, they were mainly only being fed by the passing public. [:(] It is just incredible that someone can look at the pony that John posted the photo of and try to claim it is old age and not neglect, or worse still say because they are old they don't need care.. [:@]