PUPPIES - Free to Good Homes

I have 6 puppies available, free to good homes. I am based in Finistere, between Carhaix and Huelgoat. The puppies are mixed breed from a mother who is Labrador/Great Dane and we believe the father is a border collie.  They are :- Apache (Male), black with white tips and feet, Midnight (Female) Black with white chest flash, Maisie (Female), mostly black with a white nose smudge, Scrappy (Male), black, Ebony (Female), black, and Belle (Female), black.  They are 6 weeks old and ready to be seen, with collection on or near the 11th July.  Please contact me by email for further contact details or more information on these adorable and affectionate dogs.

[IMG]http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm89/kerbrad/scrappysmall.jpg[/IMG]

To see more pics go to http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm89/kerbrad/

A similar response to your kittens, I'm afraid - I thought puppies should be at least 8 weeks old before separating from Mum and going to new homes.

Sorry not to be able to help, but hope all your animals find loving homes soon.

Chrissie (81)

Hi Chrissie,

Yes puppies need to be at least 10 weeks old before being removed from mum and placed with new owners, however, I am keen to ensure that the potential owners are going to be kind and loving and this can take time, so I need to know soon. These pups are weened and mum is getting quite cross with them now, as they are still happy to feed from her. They will be ten weeks old in three weeks (21st June), so perhaps not ready by 11th, as stated. I would also like to organise the adoptions on a staggered basis, so all the pups don't disappear all at once. This can also take time, and as I have other animals to care for, I am quite keen to get started.

[quote user="MaisieDay"]Hi Chrissie,

These pups are weened and mum is getting quite cross with them now, as they are still happy to feed from her.

[/quote]

You need to let mum dry off now so don't let the pups continue to feed - or, if there are a couple of smaller pups, let just those feed from her briefly so that the milk production tails off gradually. If necessary, separate her from the pups most of the day so they begin to get used to living without her. The pups will have needle sharp teeth and sharp claws so it would be unfair to keep subjecting mum to their over-enthusiastic (if loving!) attention.

Good luck with finding knowledgeable, good quality homes. It does take time but you'll get there. [:D]

Maisieday

I'm sorry I can not offer a home for your puppies or kittens, but I wanted to say a few things, Firstly I wish you well in trying to find homes for your puppies and kittens and I admire the fact that you have reared all these puppies and kittens and not drowned or got rid of them in another horrible ways as many would do when faced with unwanted litters (I assume they were unplanned as you are not asking for any payment). I can understand that people (animal lovers) find it hard to understand why your females have not been spayed to prevent more unwanted cats and dogs in the world. But in reality accidents do happen and puppies and kittens are born. Maybe you would have more success in homing them if you charge a little to cover the cost of the having the puppies vaccinated and chipped, or offered to get this done when someone offers a home.

If I were looking to find a new pet I would be prepared to pay for it plus any cost involved in getting it chipped and jabbed.

If you give them away for free they may end up just like their parents and not be spayed or castrated and perpetuating the cycle.

Pets cost money, money to rear, money to feed and money to provide vet care, and if people who want pets can't afford to pay something for them, will they afford the cost of spaying and castrated them?

Good Luck

PS/ Edit: Puppies and kitten are quite alright to be re-homed at 8 weeks as long as they are healthy and have been weaned properly.

I thank you again and apologise for repeating myself (Puppies and Kittens) but see my comments on the kittens post.

As for separating mum, i tried yesterday by making her a bed at the top of the stairs, where she remained dozing and very content for all of an hour, before the little tykes managed to climb the stairs. She now has a room of her own (tv and video included) and seems very happy now. The puppies, too are settling in to playing amongst themselves. I have also increased their food intake so they are not so eager to rush to her when they get hungry.

Advice is hugely appreciated, and I thank you for making this step so much easier.

I will be with the puppies on Thursday at Huelgoat market (after 09.30). Opposite the Hotel de Lac in the car park if anyone would like to see them. They will not be ready for collection for another couple of weeks, but you will be able to get a good idea of just how lovely they are.

Hi MaisieDay

My husband and I are very interested in adopting one of your beautiful pups.

Our only problem is that we will not be moving out to France until September.

We already have an 11+ year old black labrador named Charlie (who we have had since he was about 2 years old)  and a 5 and a half year old German Shepherd x Newfoundland, named Lizzie, (who we have had since she was 10 weeks old).  Both are RSPCA rescues and are neutered - any addition to our family will also be neutered.  As Charlie gets older we find that he tends to potter about more these days, rather than play.  We would therefore like to find a companion/playmate for Lizzie as she is still full of energy and loves to play a lot.

We also have to 11+ year old cats named Lucy and Saffy, who are litter sisters and also RSPCA rescues - I have had them since they were 8 weeks old.

We keep all of our pets fully vaccinated and ensure that they have appropriate veterinary care when necessary - they are all extremely important to us.

We would like a male puppy if at all possible and, if you still have the puppies, I hope that you could consider keeping a little boy for us until September.[:)]

If, on the other hand, you have already taken them to the SPA, I hope that they all soon find kind and loving homes. [:)]

Hi Maisie Day,

My elderly parents had a similar problem to you ,six unplanned puppies.Adverts were put in papers,posters up,the vet told,but no joy until The Brigitte Bardot Foundation

person came,she took photos and found places for all the puppies.I have not seen this rescue mentioned on the forum.I think they have local representatives all over France.Ido not live in France but my parents do,so I know it is a bit different animal wise.Hope this helps.

Hi MaisieDay

Please could you update as to whether you have taken the puppies to a rescue facility?

If you have, that is our loss, but I do hope they all find good loving homes soon.

By the way, we will be moving to a place in Cote D'Armor.

I tried to e-mail you, but I don't know if you received it or not.

Thanks

tracteurtom, perhaps you should read through this thread before commenting :

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2/1283412/ShowPost.aspx#1283412

Everyone, including Maisie Day is aware the circumstances are far from ideal but the OP is doing the best she can in the circumstances and will rectify the situation as soon as possible.

Not sure what you mean 'cats look after themselves'?

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Everyone, including Maisie Day is aware the circumstances are far from ideal but the OP is doing the best she can in the circumstances and will rectify the situation as soon as possible.

[/quote]

I dont see why I should have to go searching the Forum to find an explaination as to why someone is trying to get rid of a litter of pups to anytakers !  Hidding behind "free to GOOD homes" just to get around forum regs stinks IMO.   I stand by my original statement. 

[quote user="Frenchie"]

And mongrels are often the loveliest of dogs !!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

Completely agree Frenchie.  But people need to be aware that mongrels fill the dog homes around the world, pups from unplanned liaisons that often end up being distroyed.  There's always a good selection of pedigrees in them homes as well, makes you think WTF !

Threads like this give people the wrong impression - oh it doesnt matter, we'll have a litter, cute little things, and if we cant get owners for them, there's always the dogs homes - not so.

Nuff said, I just needed to make a point.

[quote user="tracteurtom"][quote user="Russethouse"]

[/quote]

I dont see why I should have to go searching the Forum to find an explaination as to why someone is trying to get rid of a litter of pups to anytakers !  Hidding behind "free to GOOD homes" just to get around forum regs stinks IMO.   I stand by my original statement. [/quote]

This is the sticky at the top of this section :

Re-homing Pets?

Individuals/breeders are not allowed to advertise pets for sale on this forum, these will be removed. However posts referring to pets that are ‘free to a good home’ or 'rescue centre' pets are welcome.

Please state if you are a rescue centre or individual in your post to avoid confusion.

Pets for re-homing should be offered here, in the 'pets' section of the forum, rather than the regional forums or any other section.

On all posts please put your town/region to help members.

I think you'll find that it is other forum members who have suggested that the OP has the puppies vaccinated etc and recoups the cost when she re homes them (if she can). There is no suggestion that the OP is trying to get round forum rules. If you have a concern please use the report button. Thank you.

• 1 month later...