Dogs waiting for loving families! SPA Bergerac

[quote user="Nick Williams"]I just thought i'd let you know that a friend pointed us to this website at the weekend. We went over to Bergerac SPA today and adopted the occupant of cage 08. A beautiful (albeit neglected) natured girl who I'm sure will become an important member of our family. Its a shame we couldn't take more but we already have 1 mad hound! [:)] If you are after a dog, I strongly recommend you vist the SPA first. Thanks Shelley and Nads for pointing us here!! [kiss][/quote]

I have just seen this. That is wonderful news! Number 8 is such a lovely dog, I remember her so well and she seemed so sweet and gentle. Please do update us with how she is getting on. I would love to know what you call her and see photos of her in her new wonderful home. I am so happy, well done for your kindness. [:D][kiss]

[quote user="steve"]Does anyone have any information on the rottweiler that can just be seen peering bleakly in the darkness?[/quote]

Hi Steve, the number for the Bergerac SPA is: 0553 27 03 79.

They are very friendly and very helpful. In fact, there is a very nice lady there by the name of Sandrine that speaks some English if your French isn't up to it. I would recommend phoning and discussing the situation with the Rottweiler yourself.  Please let us know what you learn about him/her. I would be very interested.

Well today I had 3 of my horsey friends over for lunch and one of them was absolutely smitten with Charlie (Number 14).

The long and short of it is that she rang her husband from my house and he said 'yes' and so Charlie has gone home with her

It was as if he picked her out to be his mum, because he went and sat

right next to her and just looked into her eyes. He hardly left her

side all through lunch.

She is a doggy person and a very experienced dog owner and already

has 3 dobermans, so I hope he is going to behave with them. The only

thing I couldn't tell her was how he was with cats as we don't have

one. He is such a good boy that I am sure he will be fine.

She is going to have him on trial for a week and then if all goes

well I will hand over the papers to her, if not then he can come back

to me with pleasure as he is no trouble at all.

Fingers crossed.

Gail

That is good news for little Charlie. I hate to say something negative about this but I can't help but worry about him going to a family that has three large Dobermans. I hope he will be OK. Just wish I could have taken him. Please let us know how he settles in with his new family. Gail, well done for saving him in the first place.

[quote user="WJT"]That is good news for little Charlie. I hate to say something negative about this but I can't help but worry about him going to a family that has three large Dobermans. I hope he will be OK. Just wish I could have taken him. Please let us know how he settles in with his new family. Gail, well done for saving him in the first place.[/quote]

I know how you feel but having recently met the woosiest dog ever I can say that dobermans can be as gentle as any other dog.  She wouldn't pass a barking ball of fluff  about the size of a Westie that we encountered whilst walking her and actually got chased by it, the funniest sight ever. 

I have spoken to the new people today and he was a bit bolshy with their male Dobie but fortunately the dobie is a softey and so it was ok.  Unfortunately he keeps chasing the cat and so he is having a lesson in feline respect today!  He needs to be castrated asap and I have told the new people that I expect them to do that if they keep him and they have agreed.  If he comes back to me then I will get him done asap.

They are happy with him though and it's looking good.  The new people are very experienced dog owners and went into having him with their eyes wide open.  I wouldnt have let him go to just anyone.  He has to have the right home because the worst thing that could happen is that he was shunted from pillar to post. 

There will always be a sanctuary here for him if things dont work out.

Gail

I am writing to update about Charlie and how he has been getting along.

He settled fantastically well with the Dobermans and slept with them in

their beds every night and played with them all day long. Today he

spent the afternoon licking the ears of the big male dobie in his bed.

He was a real hit with all in the family and loved a cuddle and to

snuggle on an available lap when he was allowed.

Now the bad news.......... Unfortunately Charlie chased their cats.

and not just chased for fun but in a totally focussed hunting dog kind

of manner. He is definately sight driven and the fact that they run

away from him just excites him more.

I believe that Charlie is in fact a fox terrier crossed with a

poodle. Although he has lovely soft fluffy curls he also has the wiry

coat in places of a fox terrier. He 'points' when he sees prey ie cats and also shivers and shakes in anticipation if they run up a tree to escape him.

So sadly Charlie is coming back tomorrow, not in disgrace, but with a

lot more information available for anyone who might be interested in

re-homing this lovely affectionate dog. I dont think a home with cats

is advisable. He is definately not a bichon/poodle cross. I am afraid

that you will have to take my word for that although when he gets home

I will take some more pics of him to try and show his pedigree

If anyone might know of a potential home for him then please dont

hesitate to get in touch and maybe come and see him. You will fall in

love with him I am sure.

Gail

Gail, I have just replied on the other forum and just wanted to say here that I am so sorry to hear the news but so happy that you will keep him until a permanent home is found. As I mentioned, he is just so cute, I can't imagine that it would take long.

By the way, just out of interest, I am certainly no expert but his little face looks just like my little dogs face and he is a Maltese. Maltese and Bichons appear to have the same faces so do you think that perhaps he could be a Bichon or Maltese/ Terrier mix? My Maltese adores children and is gentle but is a spirited little thing.

In any case, fingers crossed a cat free loving home will be found soon.

Darling Charlie is still waiting for a lovely home and so I have taken some more pics of him today.  He has just had a brush and is sitting on the terrace surveying the garden.

Please would you ask around your friends and help to find a lovely home for this super little dog.  He really needs someone to give him a forever home (without cats!).

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/frenchfarmgites/Charlie042.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/frenchfarmgites/Charlie034.jpg[/IMG]

Gail

• 2 weeks later...