RSPCA bouycotts Crufts

Well done to the RSPCA for boycotting Crufts this year, in protest to the Kennel club condoning/closing blind eye to breeding for looks- causing difformities, illnesses, serious breathing and skin disabilities, as well as serious neurological problems. shame for reponsible breeders. but enough is enoug - and RSPCA is right and brave to make a stand. Bravo.

[quote user="Russethouse"] I'm not so sure - the KC say they have worked with the RSPCA in the past and wouldn't this be the better way forward? There is no need to approve everything the KC let go through, but sometimes its better to work from the inside.[/quote]

The KC has had plenty of chances to clean up its act but has weazled out every time in favour of vicious, unscrupulous breeders who should by rights be prosecuted for harming animals and be banned from having them for a good few years.

Why don't they do just that ? Actually I think the RSPCA do good work in some areas but my experience with them hasn't been great -for years they have basically turned a blind eye, now they change their minds, they were the same with fox hunting, at one time they were pretty pro hunt but then turned on a sixpence and changed their view...

The only way to really put a stop to the over-extensive- and in-breeding is to persuade people NOT to buy pedigree puppies without proper background information and health checks.  Not an easy task but I used to do my bit with every person we came into contact with in the UK, pointing out the benefits of our mutts and giving mention of the problems in the pedigree trade.  (I still praise the mutts here, but don't know if French breeders have the same attitudes.)

The breeders are in it for the money.  Cut the demands for their puppies and they will have to clean up their act.  Unfortunately too many people are ignorant and buy a puppy the way they would buy a CD[:(]

Chrissie (81)