FLIES FLIES AND even more B....... lies

We have a little terrace at the back of the house (see pic here) which we keep private to give our paying guests full and exclusive use of the front garden. It's sunny all day long and not overlooked but the problem with it is the high number of flies buzzing around and landing all over.

We have an old gas barbecue stashed away under in a corner of the decking and I noticed the flies tended to congregate on its black plastic cover, regardless of where the BBQ was.

As we have acquired a new shiny barbecue, Mr Clair retired the old one to the cellar (with a view to covert it to charcoal use, but that's another story...)

As soon as the BBQ and its black plastic cover disappeared, the flying blighters disappeared too! They must have found another black plastic cover to harass!

Hope it's not yours... [:$]

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Iceni"]

. In the doorway we have a dangly curtain which seems to stop so many coming in.

John

[/quote]Have you managed to find an attractive looking fly curtain? - and if so, where please?[/quote]

I didn't say it was attractive. Suggest that you try La Four Fouille (sp?)

John

Most supermarkets sell the grey fly mesh curtains for doors. They have three overlapping strips of mesh and work well.

I do not like killing flies so even one in the house is distracting and unhygenic. It is foul to be in a house full of flies.

Yes, Dog, I totally agree.We have a mesh overlapping door screen which is great when we make sure it is overlapping but my Labrador is in and out all the time. He has not learnt how to make sure they overlap and so we do get the dreaded things coming in. So that is when the plastic swat comes into it's own.

• 1 month later...
As promised ,

Have just returned from a month in France, and would like to keep you up to date on our fly and pong problem.

No flies in our loft, until we use the loos in the house that is, it would appear that we may have got 2 birds with one stone...

We had an awful smell up there, something dead or rotting, hence the  loads of flies, well it would appear that our loft bathroom had no stink pipe, and the smell would work its way back into the loft, then the flies appear.

So our plumber has fitted a stink pipe up thru the roof from the sewage pipe, and voila, pong and flies gone.

He also told us that whenever we return to the house to drop a septic tank sachet down the loo before we use it. I bought some I think it is called eparcyl.

Thanks Mr plombier, good old fashioned gent he was.

He also told us off, we have been decorating since the day we got the house, every day for I don't know how long, and yes we know, emulsion shold not be tipped down the drain, but we did, and we won't any more...

Have a look at the products on http://www.pesthelp.co.uk  They deliver to France for under £10 and can price in euros.

I used a dozen their mini fumers in my unconverted top floor and other than having to vacate the house for 8 hours (a day trip to La Rochelle) it sorted my loft infestation relatively easily.

Other than as a customer I have no link to the site.

[quote user="Stan Streason"]

Have a look at the products on http://www.pesthelp.co.uk  They deliver to France for under £10 and can price in euros.

I used a dozen their mini fumers in my unconverted top floor and other than having to vacate the house for 8 hours (a day trip to La Rochelle) it sorted my loft infestation relatively easily.

Other than as a customer I have no link to the site.

[/quote]

I bought plug in devices last year from  LeClerc and deep joy, this year they are still in stock! So I have bought the refills! They were for mosquitos but they seem to keep the flies down too!