help findind dog food

Crjohnstone

Hi

does anyone feed their dog dry food(by that i mean in a sack, not in a tin)i'm moving to France in Jan and at the moment feed my rottie, and have done for the last 9 years on Oscar pet food which is only available from uk,im going to bring several months supply with me but cant do this forever.

The food is like sacked pedigree or eukanuba(spelt wrong)does any one know of this sort of feed to recommend in France and if its easily obtainable.

Thanks Helen

No idea if Oscars or similar is available but dried stuff in sacks is the normal way of buying dog food around here. People keep several dogs for hunting and feed them on dried food - our local agri coop is full of the stuff - loads of different sorts so you may be lucky.

Also, although of course you can buy tinned food, dried is more popular because of the heat.

But, if you can't find it can't you wean him off Oscars slowly by mixing in another brand? We had to with pussy!

good luck.....helen

complete dry products are easily available like the UK you pay your money you take yout choice from cheap basic produts through to premium quality completes as with all dog foods read the labels check the ingredients and feed the best you can, dogs say is always the final deciding factor

We feed our 2******r spaniels on organic Burns food - it is fabulous stuff - it not only cleared up Merlin's dry skin, but the dogs stopped fighting each other (apparently a lot of the economy dog foods contains far too much protein, which can cause behaviour and other health problems).  We order from www.chateaudesanimaux.com which has a load of advice on the Burns range.  I'm sure Candice supplies sample packs of the food, too.

I can recommend the Burns as well, we feed our Border Collies the Fish and Rice and hey never have looked so good. The problem with commercial brands is the dubious source of protein, the so called DDD(Death, Deceased and Dying) source. They will use all kinds of meat they can get for rendering and tat includes, meat that isn't fit for human consumption and animals that died at a veterinarian clinic or shelter.

if you do a search on the internet with 'what really is in pet food' you will understand. Second problem is the amount of corn and wheat they use in the food. Dogs are carnivores and will eat some greens in nature but it's not the largest amount of their diet. If you look on the bag or dog food you will see that in a commercial brand the largest part will be wheat and corn. feeding a life long diet like that will result in all kinds of health problems. Feeding a non commercial food like Burns may appear more expensive but is cheaper in the long run because you will save on vet costs. it's a bit like humans living purely on a diet of MacDonalds and Chips. Not healthy either.

--

Tink (22)

In the UK I fed my Border Collie James Wellbeloved not because he has a “sensitive digestion” but because it was a no additives and low protein food (20%).

In France I found the same brand, though it smelt different (same specs). I don’t know if this is because it is a different manufacturer or because at arounf the time I moved James Wellbeloved was “taken over” by one of the “big” pet food companies. Eventually I decided I should change to French product and went for Royal Canin as it seemed widely available and appeared a quality product. However, I have noticed that virtually all French dried dog foods have much higher protein levels quoted on the packets (e.g. Royal Canin is at 25% and was one of the lower protein level brands in the shop). It does not seem to have affected his behaviour. However, I have needed to reduce the volumes he is fed quite a bit to maintain his weight (310gm per day to 250 gm per day).

Before moving I decided to switch him to Hills as I thought this (being a European manufacturer) would be available in France – which it wasn’t (I’ve seen it in one shop only).

I did try Affinity Advance for a bit but he did not seem to “thrive” on it nothing specific just a general feeling I had).

Does anybody know if protein levels are measured differently in France (I notice the packs refer to raw protein whereas UK just says protein).

I would be interested to know what dried foods others feed their Border Collies on in France (as Border Collies are said to be quite sensitive to protein levels).

glad to have found this topic,moving to france next year bringing the pack with me.all eleven.at present being fed on tripe and mixer.does anyone know if this available? Also the siamese cats are presently fed on frozen meat I cook for them,usual flavours,rabbit chicken etc.Any information regarding this and rules on breeding premises greatly recieved,Wildside,

Hi

Thanks again everyone, yes i know all about the sh1t that producers put in their food,i trawled the country when he was a pup to make sure i had a food that was right for him(oscar is ace because it doesn't have ANIMAL DERIVITIVES in it ) i.e chicken bones, feathers,feet because until my nutritionalist told me years ago, that just because it says, for example chicken on the bag it will more than likely be bi-product not pure meat.

One had to keep her pouch free from these demons as he's been to crufts twice.....just thought id get that in, hahahaha

Think ill go down the burns rd and try him on that.

Thanks again for all your replies

Helen

I feed my border 50:50 cooked rice:lean meat or equivalents (he needs around 230g per day of each, the actual amount varies enormously according to lifestyle) plus 400g cooked green vegetables. Ideally.

My vet sells Hills and I've seen it in a few places, it's worth shopping around if you are keen to find a particular brand.

• 2 weeks later...
Before moving I decided to switch him to Hills as I thought this (being a European manufacturer) would be available in France – which it wasn’t (I’ve seen it in one shop only).

we phoned hills in france today from the uk 0033  (0)  800222149 and she gave us a list off suppliers in our area 79.for when we move, give them a ring we found them most helpful.