Keeping a dog in an unfenced garden.

Mjc

Cost of fencing? The price for a 200m length of 7 or 8' high fencing, installed, in 24 about 3 years ago was 15,000 euros. And it's not a quality job by any means.

If your dog is anything like ours were you would need to check it every night to see they haven't been forcing or digging under it

Don't forget the fenced run option

F24

[quote]Cost of fencing? The price for a 200m length of 7 or 8' high fencing, installed, in 24 about 3 years ago was 15,000 euros. And it's not a quality job by any means. If your dog is anything like ours ...[/quote]

Ours cost around 6,000 euros to fence in 13,000m2 (a lot of metres of fencing) with posts every 2 metres and sheep fencing (wire squares) of about 1.5 m high.  Neither dog has tried to jump of dig under and nothing has dug under or jumped in.  Not a bad job either - we were pleasantly surprised.  As someone else said, have you considered a fenced run?  Would be worth it in the short term if you're planning to move.

Cary wrote :-

He is also quite revolting and will eat everything too that most dogs would roll in!  He is particularly fond of poo, any type will do horse, cow etc he can be quite disgusting! 

Cary, that problem can be fairly easily resolved with just a little patience. If you are interested to know how, send me a PM and I'll let you in to the secret.

there is a distinct difrence between a dog owner and a dog lover.. many of the replies prove this point.it would seem that many have never heard of patience understanding and TRAINING. now im no expert or dog psycologist, but using just these three things and a little of my time i have managed to turn two of the meanest daftest creatures god created into adorable loving companions.. i got 2 dogs from a rescue home and within hours they turned my beautiful garden into a replica of the somme, they chased, chickens, sheep, la poste and cyclists, they were brought home from nearly 20 miles away. they barked, bit, snarled and messed any where and every where.........8 months later.. no electric fences. no stupid collars or other demonic torture methods, they are the perfect companions. they sit out side the house and wag there tails as the cyclists they used to terrorise stop to pet them. madam la poste brings them treats, we walk for miles through town and country off lead... and the chickens chase them round the gasrden...all done with patience, understanding, training and a little time, and if you aint got the time, you shouldnt have a dog in the first place...i firmly believe the old saying "theres no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners" .. i1 nice honest reply...babnik.. put the collars on the owners too..

Please don't use one of these horrible electric systems on your dog- for all the reasons other posters have listed.

If you have a problem with an escapee dog, then fence all or part of your land. As well as keeping your dog in, it will keep the neighbours hens out!

The best method though, as the last message said, is to train your dog. Yes, it does take time, no its not an instant fix and yes you will have to work hard! If you need help, then I'm sure there are books/ training classes ect in your area. Stick with it and you will have a happy and well behaved dog- you never know, you might enjoy it!

However, if your dog already has a taste for chicken "in the feather", you'll need a fence as well- one of my golden retrievers has found the huge fun to be had chasing birds [any variety will do] and despite the fact that shes very well behaved at other times shes also very good at forgetting the rules. We are working on it, but at the moment there is no way I would leave her out next to an unfenced flock of hens- unless I wanted chicken casserole!

Sarah

I am unfortunately on the receiving end of dogs which are not kept under control. We have an acre surrounded by a mixture of hedging, the banks of a river and trees with gaps in. On both sides are neighbours whose dogs roam. One regularly enters our garden and has left the usual doggy presents for us. It's very annoying that I will have to pay good money to keep these dogs off my land.

[quote]Another excellent reason for fencing your garden! If you keep dogs then you must make sure they aren't a pest to other people, I think the original poster said they were thinking of selling their hou...[/quote]

As the original poster:-

1. I should have said that the neighbours chickens come in to our garden (theirs being unfenced!), scratch up our flower beds and then get chased by our dog, who doesn't recognise the boundary when she gets there. Who's at fault, us or the neighbours, since our dog only crosses the boundary when her territory has been invaded?

2. Yes, we may be selling up in the near future, but that's nothing to do with the dog. Just getting too darned old to maintain a latge house and garden.

Many thanks to the original poster for asking the question about these collars. One useful thing about these types of forum is that responses become available to many, thus one question asked can provide a load of answers to many people with similar questions. Emotive subjects can result in emotive responses (my own included) so I hope you have not felt to “battered” by the responses. I think most people responding were responding to the general principle of shock collars rather than anything else.

“the neighbours chickens come in to our garden (theirs being unfenced!)” – so it’s chicken for dinner tonight !

My local farmer has in his garden, a long piece of wire on the ground, secured each end, about 50 metres in length, the dog is attached somehow to this with his lead. He is able to run up and down freely but is secure. It may be abit Heath Robinson, but is works and without any electric shocks...

[quote]My local farmer has in his garden, a long piece of wire on the ground, secured each end, about 50 metres in length, the dog is attached somehow to this with his lead. He is able to run up and down fre...[/quote]

Yes, we have seen this. There is however, one problem which we can envisage. The dog may catch his limbs on the wire and damage himself, and if the lead attached to the dog's collar and to the cable is too slack (and there must be some "play"), that too could catch around the dog's feet. Also, the dog should not be attached by a collar, which could choke him if he tries to run too quickly to the extension of the "play", but rather should be fitted with a harness, which would not choke.

We actually experimented along similar lines, with a harness, but under our close supervision. At one stage, the restricted dog started a game with the "free" dog, and managed to get her short lead wrapped around the neck of the other. End of experiment!

[quote]there is a distinct difrence between a dog owner and a dog lover.. many of the replies prove this point.it would seem that many have never heard of patience understanding and TRAINING. now im no expe...[/quote]

I would realy like to know how you managed to stop your dogs chasing chickens. That would be brilliant!

Yes, please tell! Despite training our dogs, and being dog lovers not just"owners", one of our goldens has a real taste for birds- and I mean taste. She managed to corner and catch one of the many pheasants raised in the woods nearby and since then regards bird chasing as the most fun in the world. I know a healthy interest in birds is bred into goldens but this is proving difficult to stop. Luckily our garden has a dog proof fence so our next door hens are safe!

As I said before, training is the best long term solution,and is fun any way, but a fence is a good idea- even if it is not your lack of fence that is the problem.

Sarah