A passport or not a passport?

Rob G

We're getting ready to move to Normandy this Autumn, and have one small dog and one cat to take with us.  Having asked our vet about the pet passport scheme it seesm quite expensive (we were told about £200 per animal up front cost).

I was just wondering....assuming that we don't plan to bring our pets back with us when we visit the UK, can anyone tell me what they would need to have in the way of jabs etc. to be allowed into France on, as it were, a "one way" basis?

Any other advice on the relative merits of pet passports (versus not bothering with them) would be welcome.

Thanks,

Rob

As I understand it, it is now compulsory to have an EU Pet's Passport when moving your pets across borders within the EU.  You will have to declare your pet to the ferry company when booking your crossing, and it is likely you will not be allowed to board the ferry without the correct paperwork.

It should not cost as much as £200, as I don't think your pet will need to have a blood test after the rabies vaccination in order to enter France.  However, if you intend to return to the UK at any time then the blood test will be necessary, followed by a six month wait before you can enter the UK with your pet.

Hi

We brought our two dogs over last year (a year to the day in fact) and simply had them micro chipped and rabies jabbed.  They were bar-coded at the ferry.  Pas de probleme.  I don't know if the rules have changed since then but I can't possibly imagine that a £200.00 pet passport would have been made obligotory without an awfull lot of kick up from the general public.  It was bad enough when the horse passport was introduced - and that was only £28.00  Definately worth checking with DEFRA (Are they still called DEFRA?)

Fran

www.gasconyretreat.com

Hi

We brought our two dogs over last year (a year to the day in fact) and simply had them micro chipped and rabies jabbed.  They were bar-coded at the ferry.  Pas de probleme.  I don't know if the rules have changed since then but I can't possibly imagine that a £200.00 pet passport would have been made obligatory without an awful lot of kick up from the general public.  It was bad enough when the horse passport was introduced - and that was only £28.00  Definitely worth checking with DEFRA (Are they still called DEFRA?)

Fran

www.gasconyretreat.com

Yes, the rules have changed within the last year and the information you have been given is correct - you do need an EU Pets Passport. Unfortunately the good old days of getting an export certificate passed towards the end of last year.

It might be worth shopping around and asking other vets for prices although I doubt you will save a great deal. The UK vets seem to have picked up on this as a good earner. After all, by taking your pets abroad you're already taking your business elswhere so they've got nothing to lose !

If you want to check the details for certain, from the experts who keep up to date with all the changes, then take a look at this web page:

http://www.cani-excel.com/pet_passport_helpline.asp

You can e-mail their help line for more details.

Good luck.

When I had my dog covered in the UK I think it was about £150 (though that included 2 rabies vaccinations before the blood test to increase the probability of a successful result). Also that was in an area of the UK where veterinary treatment was expensive.

If moving to France some people only do what is necessary to move to France as “they are not going back to the UK”. Then we see the “Home urgently needed for …” because they have to back for unexpected reasons and cannot wait for their pets to complete the 6 month wait. The only difference is a blood test which is not that expensive (compared to the cost of owning an animal) – and then you know you will not have any problems like some others do (you see such posts on quite a few of the French forums).

For a dog it’s a microchip, rabies vaccination and Pet Passport document. To include the option to return to the UK then you only need to add a blood test (and 6 month wait after successful result). I personally find it really sad when pets need to be re-homed because their owners had not planned and paid that little bit extra “just in case”. Everybody’s plans can change through circumstances beyond their control.

Ian

What seems incredible is that animals before leaving England have to be microchipped to come to France, but the English microchip doesn't work in France!  So why do they have to have it to leave England?  It would be more understandable if they had to have it to be in England, as once they have left the white cliffs of Dover it is useless.  The animals staying permanently in France then have to have their microchip re-registered here, which takes a certain time.

Also people coming over on holiday may think their dog has an identity here as he is microchipped.  Not at all, apparently the owner of the dog cannot be traced from here.  There is definitely something wrong in the system. Animals have to be microchipped to travel, but if it is not registered abroad, what is the point?

I also wonder what happens with French dogs with French microchips when they go to England.

Is there anyone who knows about this, Ian do you know?  I have heard of English microchipped dogs being put down here, after being lost and ending up in a refuge where they were unable to trace the owner.  This is absolutely terrible and nonsensical.  If someone has bothered to microchip their dog it is for him to have an identity and be able to find his family.

Can the French police trace the owner of an English car over here in France by its registration plates?

Christine

My two dogs have no problems with their microchips. One is British and was chipped in the UK a couple of years before I moved here and his chip has always read at the vet/ferry port without problems (in France). My other dog (French) again has not had any problems (though her chip may have only been read once in the UK – I didn’t see and they don’t always bother too much UK to France).

Whilst the French and UK chip databases may not be connected, French authorities can find out which database a chip is held on (anybody can on http://www.europetnet.com/who/default.asp). It wont tell you the owner but will tell you which database the chip is held on so that organisation can be contacted by the authorities. May not be ideal but it is possible. I have no idea how widespread knowledge of this database is but when I keyed in my UK dog’s chip number it correctly identified the database and gave (through a link) the contact info for the Petlog operators. France is not a member of this database (yet) so it cannot be used to track down French chipped dogs. I guess there are two “issues” about use of the this database – do authorities know and if they do/did would they bother to use it ?

Registering a UK dog with the SCC in France should be easy – but after a year and a half I have still not managed. My vet keeps coming up with different reasons why I don’t need to. Different reason every visit (a bit like the Monty Python Cheese Shop game). Last visit they did telephone somebody about it and then were going to get the forms. They are a good vet and very very thorough on e.g. Pet Passport procedures, etc. so it may be that my experience is not unusual ?

Ian

We'll be getting our Sheltie chipped jabbed etc coming from Australia in the next few months. We want to get him a pet passport. I understand he has to wait 6 months before he can leave the country (France) by having a blood test. Once this is done, is he then free to go in and out of the country at will or is it a 6 month wait every time? I have family in England that I haven't seen in over 8 years and would want to take my dog with me.

[quote]Came over on seafrance bringing my mothers 3 dogs all passported etc up no on asked a question or looked at any of the papers I believe it is a lot different going the other way though[/quote]

My dog has been checked on every occasion by both P&O and Brittany Ferries at Portsmouth, and by P&O at Dover.  His microchip has been read and his paperwork scrutinised.

As far as I understand it, the 6 months wait after the blood sample that gave a successful blood test result is only for going into the UK (and a couple of other EU countries). Each visit to the UK also requires a tick and tapeworm treatment between 24 and 48 hrs before check-in (by a vet and recorded in the Pet Passport. Again this tick and tapeworm treatment procedure is only for entry to the UK and a couple of other EU countries. Most EU countries just rabies vaccination and one month later (with Pet Passport) travel across borders freely (you need booster rabies vaccinations as per “valid to dates” in Pet Passport – which is normally annually in France).

For entry to UK, blood test and wait 6 months from date successful sample was taken, then, provided you keep up the schedule of rabies booster vaccinations you do not need further blood tests nor further 6 month waits. Miss or be late on a rabies booster and another blood test and 6 months wait (from successful sample) necessary.

Ian

(DEFRA info available on http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm)

We have been to our vets here in France and have requested petpassports for our 2 dogs and one cat. Between our very little french and their very little English we think they have understood us. They have given us the bits of paper regarding tick treatment ect. But no passports.

I have heard that the vets in England have them 'on site'. Is this the case here will they give us the passports before we take dogs back?

Hope someone can help and sorry for hijacking the original post!

Thanks Bex

To get back into the UK you need a Pet Passport (for each pet) AND blood test and 6 month wait after the successful blood test. You can get a Pet Passport with just rabies vaccination and that is good for movement between most EU countries. The UK (plus a couple of others; Denmark and Ireland I think) also require the blood test, 6 month wait and tick and tapeworm treatment.

Many French vets will give you both the Pet Passport AND the old French PETS paperwork (when returning to UK). This is a good idea (and the reason I managed to get back into the UK for last Christmas – Pet Passport had errors but French paperwork OK).

In France the Pet Passports were difficult to get last year but seem to be readily available now. Most vets should keep them “on-site”.

The tick & tapeworm treatment is done 24 to 48 hrs before checking-in so you will need some paperwork quite quickly if you have already have the tick and tapeworm treatment done. When are you taking your pets back to the vet (and what for ?).

My own vet didn’t complete the French PETS paperwork until the tick and tapeworm treatment just before departure (though I have found some Pet Passports at a different vet so already had those).

Ian

I've found lots of info on the DEFRA site about the pet passport scheme, but it's all based around requirements for animals entering the UK from other countries. I'd like to find out more about requirements for animals entering France from the UK. Does anyone know of a site which specifically covers this, in French or English? I've tried looking for a French government site which is equivalent to DEFRA, but haven't been able to find one.

Thanks,

Rob

[quote]I've found lots of info on the DEFRA site about the pet passport scheme, but it's all based around requirements for animals entering the UK from other countries. I'd like to find out more about requi...[/quote]

The regulations regarding the movement of pets throughout the EU were implemented in September or October 2004.  This harmonised the requirements of documentation throughout the Union.

I think I replied to this previously.  You must have your pets microchipped, vaccinated against rabies, and issued with a blue Pet's Passport in which will be entered the number of the microchip, the date of vaccination and its expiry.  This is mandatory for entering any EU country, including France.  Some countries impose further conditions, e.g. the UK demands a positive blood test and forbids entry, without quarantine, for six months following a successful test.  The UK also requires tick and flea treatment by a vet between 24 and 48 hours before entry.

You have no option, if you wish to remain within the law, but to obtain a Pet's Passport for each animal before entering France, or any other EU country for that matter.

"You have no option, if you wish to remain within the law, but to obtain a Pet's Passport for each animal before entering France, or any other EU country for that matter."

This statement only applies if you want to reenter the UK.

If relocating from the UK with no intention of taking the animals back....You only need an export licence/rabies jab but can get away with neither as there is not any check leaving the UK...Unless of course you make a big "song & danse" at the point of departure!

Boghound that was 'all'  you needed in the past, but if you look at the French Embassy's web site link I posted, you need much more than that now, and this came in last year.

Incidentally we have had our papers thoroughly checked on the UK side in order to come back to France.

We have travelled with our 2 dogs regularly from the UK to France and back and yes, the dogs papers have been checked each time and their "chips" read, this all takes longer than checking our passports!

As for not getting a pass port- do you really want to risk it? You say you never want to bring them back, but no one can know what the future holds.

It's not difficult to get one;

1 Have pet micro chipped

2 Vet gives pet rabies vacination

3 1 month later, pet has blood test to make sure the vacination has worked

4  Pet passport issued and the pet can travel OUT of the UK.

5 6 months after the succesful vacination the pet can return to the UK

6 24 to 48 hours before the time of travel, the pet has to have a tick and flea treatment at the vets [usually Frontline and Drontil] The vet will sign and date the passport. Make ABSOLUTLY sure that the form is filled in correctly- date, time and treatment given for BOTH treatments. If not you will get to the check in desk and be turned away!

7 Make sure you keep the rabies vacination up to date- the passport will show the renewal date and your vet must fill in and sign the passport when it is done. If this is done, you can continue to travel with no further blood test or 6 month delay. 1 day late, and you have to have another blood test and 6 month wait.

8 Cost; last year my vet charged [ I cant remember exactly but more or less] £15 for the microchip, £50 for the rabies jab and blood test and £12.50 to issue the passport. The blood test was the most expensive thing!

I think this would prove to be value for money if somthing happened and you had to bring your pets back to the UK in a hurry!

Good Luck, Sarah

"This statement only applies if you want to reenter the UK.

If relocating from the UK with no intention of taking the animals back....You only need an export licence/rabies jab but can get away with neither as there is not any check leaving the UK...Unless of course you make a big "song & danse" at the point of departure!"

Boghound, that is nonsense.  The EU introduced new regulations last September to harmonise the movement of pets across the EU.  See this link. http://www.eubusiness.com/Consumer/040929153040.m2if4abn/view?searchterm=pets%20passport

See also http://europa.eu.int/comm/food/animal/liveanimals/pets/index_en.htm

Sorry Boghound but I have to agree with the others here.  Our German vet confirmed that our cats should be microchipped to be legally taken into France - even though they already have passports and have had rabies injections updated ever since leaving the UK.