Cats and bird flu

Monika

In the department of the AIN where the original dead infected birds were found, your cat must now be "confined". Dogs when out walking must be on a lead. It  was announced on French T.V. a few days ago. It does not affect other departments yet.

maureen.

It really is quite worrying when you think of all the chain reaction caused by animals eating infected birds whether they are cats,dogs, foxes(chickens etc). We used to keep our four cats indoors on sundays during the hunting season when they came near to the house,talk about going stir crazy. On oen of these huntings day I found a black cat under the washing line and wondered if my little black one had climbed out of the velux. I grabbed this cat (didn't take a lot of notice of it) and took it inside to be met with strange looks from the family and the family black cat already sitting onthe table, you should have seen the strange one run off extremely quick from this catnapper and he hasn't been around since.

I was reading that cats are being dumped by their owners, in the South West of France, the owners being worried about cats bringing bird flu home.  The rescue shelter says they normally pick up 10 cats per week, this hase gone up to 50 a week.  Llike, ok, let's get real.  Keep the cats indoors, don't abandon them. 

How right you both are - the world has gone mad.....

Yes, the SPA stated on T.V. this week that the amount of cats being handed in has gone up by 40%. But this was in Lyon, I have not heard anything about the South West.Excuse me, must rush off to buy a nice fat, yellow poulet fermier.......

maureen.

[quote user="maureen"]By the way, a bell on a cat is not much good if the bird is dead...It is to stop the cats eating dead  (infected) birds that they have to be kept in!!!
maureen.
[/quote]

Well, you are quite right it's the dead birds which are dangerous and a bell is of no use, but then on second thoughts would a cat eat something dead? Surely with a cat it's the thrill of the kill. My two cats were very fussy what they ate unlike our labrador who ate just anything the smellier the better!