Adolecent Dog Behaving Badly

Just Katie

Hope someone can help me on this.  I have an eight month old dog (intact) who is my dog.  However, my husband sometimes feeds him and takes him for walks.  Recently over the last month he has twice urinated on my husband and today he cocked his leg for the first time to urinate on him.

Does anybody know why he is doing this and how he can be discouraged.  Please.

Ooooh that could only mean one thing.  Little over the wrong side of 43 though.  Can YOU advise on my tinkly dog?  I had a row with my man this morning and he came home this evening ready for round two and the dog cocked his leg up, peed on him and walked away as if nothing had happened.  The mans face was a picture though.

I'm guessing that he is asserting dominance, or getting round to trying, anyway. You two need to become Alpha female and male quick otherwise he'll try and assume that status. You don't <gasp!> let him sleep on your bed, do you? If you do, you may find that weaning him off that habit asap will help him figure out his place in the household hierarchy, ie, below yours. Someone like Mrs MDW may be better equipped to deal with your question than me - not because I think she has dominance problems! [:-))] - but because I know she has more dog behavioural experience than me.

Unless your dog is from one of the "prefers one main owner in a household" breeds - I suppose German Shepherds fit that bill - probably you and your husband should split the dog duties for a while. And your husband could concentrate on some of the dog training stuff (walking on a lead to heel, sit, stay etc) that establishes his dominance over the dog.

Thanks Catalpa or should I say diolch! 

I know you needed to ask but I certainly do not let him sleep on my bed.  I have always had large more dominant breeds, GSD, Retriever (only that doesnt count) and this guy who is a Rhodesian Ridgeback.

I have always treated him as a dog and have basically trained him myself (heel, sit, down, and come).

He has had accidental puppy tinkles on both of us in the past but this was so blatant and cheeky and none of my other dogs have given me this problem.

I feel that you are right in your explaination.  Would I overcome this by taking more of a back seat role myself whilst pushing hubby more in the drivers seat?

hi, it seems to be a dominance problem although this extreme behavior is quite rare between human / dog, usually it is done to the articles owned by the owner ie house , bed etc, not the person, although i know this has happened before.the dog is quite young to be diplaying dominance, ridgebacks are notoriously dominant and sometimes downright non responsive which is down to genetics.

i suggest your husband uses the sound aversion, when the dog shows he is about to" do the deed" have a plastic bottle with pebbles/ coins in, as he tries it on, loud "NO" backed up with the sharp bang of the shaker at the same moment.also try hubby initiating some dominant training ie play with toy, tell the dog to leave, with aid of shaker if needed, then keep the toy but reward with titbit

hope this helps

Thanks Monty,  You say it is rare and I must admit I have never heard of it.  With regards to sound I dont think my husband could carry a bottle of pebbles around with him all the time.  Would a loud growl do?

This is how I have always shown my disapproval to him and it works with me.  I am glad to say my growls are pretty quiet now but he gets the message and cowers away (which I am also a bit concerned about as I have never hit him).

He is a very jovial and inquisitive dog, however he has recently started mounting other dogs and I am wondering if he is a little young for that too, and most of the time, especially with the larger breeds is getting away with it.  Mind you the terriers he meets put him firmly in his place.[:)]

For what its worth, he also loves to instigate a game of tug of war and although his tail is wagging he is very competitive.  I try to discourage this now but I tell you to give you more of an insight into his personality.

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"] I am glad to say my growls are pretty quiet now but he gets the message and cowers away (which I am also a bit concerned about as I have never hit him). [/quote]

That's just submissive behaviour, I think - it doesn't necessarily mean he's expecting to be hit.

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]  He is a very jovial and inquisitive dog, however he has recently started mounting other dogs and I am wondering if he is a little young for that too...[:)] [/quote]

[:)] It's spring! The sap is rising. I don't think it is too young... he'd be capable of mating but in a pack, at his age, he'd be well down the hierarchy so wouldn't be allowed the opportunity to get his leg over. Literally! It could be a problem if he starts humping human legs because it's a small step then to humping a child and that's not a good thing to happen as a child could fall over leaving the child vulnerable.

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"] For what its worth, he also loves to instigate a game of tug of war and although his tail is wagging he is very competitive.  I try to discourage this now but I tell you to give you more of an insight into his personality. [/quote]

As I said, I'm not particularly experienced in dog behaviours so I'm wary of making too many suggestions which aren't backed by experience. But it does sound to me as if he's keen to be top dog and neither of you can afford to let him do that. If you play tug of war, it probably needs to finish with you making him sit - or preferably lie - down for a minute or so to calm him and re-assert your control over him. He sounds gorgeous but he's going to be a powerful dog to you will need to prevent the development of any unattractive traits. Perhaps you both need to walk him and take it in turns to play with him and them bring him back under control so he's sure that he's to obey both of you. Make sure you feed him after you and your OH have eaten because that too places you in the dominant roles.

Clicker training seems to be something that's very popular - it's might be worth reading about it -

http://www.clickertraining.com/training/clicker_basics/index.htm?loaditem=what_is_ct

Good luck!

Thanks All

And yes he is beautiful and very funny.  He is a real adolecent thug with attitude at the moment but is really a big wimp.  As I said the little terriors he meets put him firmly in his place but he goes back and teases them and they cannot catch him.

I have him controlled in many ways and do the pack thing with him.  As I said I have also basically trained him myself although he still has the houndy stubborness about him.

It is a shame because so many of this breed are rehomed and I would never recommend anyone having one with children and certainly not a novice.

Are you going to have him "snipped"!!  It may make all the difference.  I know of a couple who were number two & three in the house - after the dog.  They never got him neutered & he was very protective of the female part of the family & very threatening to the male.  He probably is treating your hubby as a rival - for your affection.

Either that or get your hubby to pee on him - & see how he likes it !!  [:-))] - sorry , couldn't resist!! 

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]

Thanks All

And yes he is beautiful and very funny.  He is a real adolecent thug with attitude at the moment but is really a big wimp.  As I said the little terriors he meets put him firmly in his place but he goes back and teases them and they cannot catch him.

houndy stubborness about him.

[/quote]

I'm sorry KKK, but as I know you and your lovely family so well everytime you talk about Mal it really could apply to Mar as well!

Ali, I havnt decided what to do about his bits and bobs yet.  But I suppose I am starting to leave it a bit late.

Yes Twinks I have three male M's in my life. Hubby son and dog. Not necessarily in that order.  I am still giggling at husbands face though as the dog was just so cool, he lifted his leg then looked up at him, gave him a short kung foo stare then went to his bed.  The old man just stood there with his mouth open and could not believe the cheek.

Anyone got any advice on adolocent boys behaving badly because I've got one of those as well.

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]

Anyone got any advice on adolescent boys behaving badly because I've got one of those as well.

[/quote]

Yes, same as the dog, set the boundaries, be firm and don't take any nonsense - frightening just how alike the advice is really [:D]

Yes and how alike my dog and son are.  I am sure my son would love to pee against his fathers leg when the boundaries are up.

My mother told me to treat a man like a dog.  When they are good reward them and be very nice to them[kiss]. When they are naughty just pull a face like a sherbert lemon for a day[:@]

Hi, my small dog did this to someone once when he was about the same age. I mentioned this to the vet and he said he would highly recommend having him neutered. Both of my dogs are a few months apart and I had them done at the same time. Problem solved and two very happy and contented doggies.[:)]

Do get him "done"!!  & the dog!! [;-)]   

If your not going to breed him (& I am talking about the dog, now) he will end up a very frustrated & aggressive doggie - it's not to late & he won't no the difference.  Only be more content.

By the way my little dog was eight months and my big dog was just under a year and I was concerned that they were too young. I had always heard that the ideal age was a little over one year old. My Vet said because of the little one lifting his leg, I should get it done straight away. Would highly recommend having this done and your dog at eight months is certainly not too old. It sounds worse than it is and is quite a simple procedure and absolutely fine within a day.

Yes WJT and Ali I think you are right.  Besides all those dangly bits are a rather ungainly sight don't you think?

When I had my last dog done my son was about six and into slugs and catapults.  He had a strange collection of things like stiches in a jar and dried frogs and he howled the rain because the vet threw my dogs bits out and didnt pickle them in a jar for him.  He still likes horrible things so I think I will surprise him this time.[:D]