Aboistop - anyone tried it?

Lori

For whatever reason, our dog has taken to very early morning barking every morning.  He starts anywhere from 5 to 7 am.  I suspect he is barking at the neighbors dog as it is let out in the early morning, but I can't be too sure.  Either way, it is driving me nuts.  It isn't constant, but every 10 to 15 mintues, just when you think you have fallen back to sleep.

I saw the Aboistop product in the Vet last time we were there.  I looked up their website and read the data.  Has anyone actually used this product?  Had any success?  At 120 Euros for the product, it is very expensive (at least for us).  It says it cuts barking by 88%.  I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried it or has info. regarding its success.

I have also seen a product that either is plugged in the wall or runs on batteries - can't remember.  It was far less expensive, but it was in some publicity that was left in the letter box many months ago and I no longer have the info.  Anyone seen such a thing?  If so, where?

Thanks.

[quote user="Lori"]

I have also seen a product that either is plugged in the wall or runs on batteries - can't remember.  It was far less expensive, but it was in some publicity that was left in the letter box many months ago and I no longer have the info.  Anyone seen such a thing?  If so, where?

[/quote]

I've seen something like this in the back of  a French gardening magazine - Les Amis du Jardin I think.  Do you want me to see if I can find it?  Claims to work on your neighbours' dogs as well!

Cassis - if you still have the pub, I'd love to have the info.  I have ALWAYS wanted to stop my neighbors dog barking (in fact neighbors would like to stop her too).  I just haven't pursued that as my neighbors are good friends and I don't want to make a fuss.  However, MY dog is another story.

Christine - it is much like what you found, only less expensive and I seem to remember it working further than 8 meters.

I read that the plug in ones are not necessarily as effective as the coller, but I have yet to meet or speak with anyone who has tried either.

Before I buy one, I'd like to know it will work.  I also found something made in the UK called a Dazer Ultrasonic Dog Deterrent (stops barking).  It is a manual thing, so you would have to actually get up and push the button for this noise (unaudible to humans) to be emitted that causes the dog to stop barking and in many cases stop in their tracks.  It is apparently made for postmen/women, EDF types, etc. who can be bothered by dogs.  I found their website and sent them an email to ask if it is available in France, but, so far, no reply.

Thanks for the info.

Yes - we have one but now hardly ever have to use it. An excellent product and very effective. What's also nice is that there is no harm or pain caused to the dog. The citronella smell isn't bad but it is enough of a deterent to stop the dog barking - and they learn very quickly.

They are actually made in France by a company called Dynavet. You will usually find them for sale on ebay.fr if you want to pick one up at a slightly lower price.

Replacement batteries can be expensive so remember to take the battery out when not in use.

Cassis - thanks for that.  This evening, I will take a look at what those links have to offer.

Thanks too Eslier - at least now I have found someone who has actually used the device and is pleased.  I never thought to look for it on Ebay.  I have never bought anything from Ebay, but I guess I could give it a try if it saves some money.  120 Euros (at the Vet) seems like a lot of money, but I guess if it works, that translates to more sleep  ....

Will mull it over and see what I can afford..

Thanks to all for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
A friend of mine who is an obedience trainer and has had some success at Crufts so knows what she's talking about advises a cup of water thrown at the dog at the appropriate moment!  Much cheaper but equally humane.  Give it a go before investing in the more expensive alternative.