Scalli

Megan le Fey

We lost our beautiful Scalli yesterday.  I rushed him to the vet when he collapsed and was urinating pink and left him for them to call me when they had done tests etc. 

It turned out that he had had a really aggressive tumour on the bladder which had burst and had just shredded the whole bladder.  There was nothing they could do and the nurse and I sat and stroked him and cried together whilst the vet put him to sleep and out of his pain.

I loved him so much.

[IMG]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/miggimeggi/IMGP0022.jpg[/IMG]

Anne, there is nothing one can say, I cry with you, how terrible and so sudden.  I know how much your dogs mean to you and you have been so unlucky in the last few years.

We recently lost Petra, who was on our site, with a tumour in the throat.

I often think of you, but now I shall be thinking of you a lot.

Love, Christine xxx

Oh Anne, I am soo sorry. [:'(] I too cry with you and also just don't know what to say. I too know how much he meant to you and what a kind person you are so know how difficult this must be for you. 

I am also so sorry to hear about Christine's' Petra, as Christine, my thoughts will be with you today. [:(]

Anne, I'm so sorry you've lost Scalli, what a dreadful shock for you.

Rest Easy Scalli

Burying a dog

There are various places in which a dog may be buried.
I am thinking now of a Setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine, and who, so far as I am aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This Setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam. And at its proper season, the cherry tree strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub is an excellent place to bury a dog.
Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavoursome bone, or lifted his head to challenge some strange intruder. These are good places in life or in death.
Yet, it is a small matter, for if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked, and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppy hood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture lane where most exhilarating cattle grazed, is all one to the dog, and all one to you. And nothing is gained, nothing is lost if memory lives.
But, there is one place to bury a dog….
If you bury him in this spot, he will come to you when you call - come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again.
And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel, they shall not growl at him nor resent his coming, for he belongs there. People may laugh at you who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall...who hear no whimper, people who never really had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing.

The one best place to bury a dog is in the heart of his master.

Anne,

I know your heart is breaking.  Please accept a virtual hug and a holding of your hand, not only from me, but all the dog lovers in the world who know what you are going through at the moment.  He was a much loved,  beautiful dog and he will be waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge.  That I am sure of.  And the same goes for Christine and Petra.

Sorry.  I'm not very good with words at a time like this but just wanted you to know I am thinking of you.

Sue

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts, I do really appreciate them.  I kept coming back and reading them and each time they made me cry some more  but I really needed that and it helped me to grieve for him.  I will always love him and never forget him.   Now I think that I am all cried out and I must work with poor Utopie who is sitting watching the gate for him to return.  Don't let anyone ever tell you that an animal cannot suffer depression,  poor girl, she is just not herself so we must give her more of everything,  more walks, more cuddles, and more bits of chicken skin on her food. 

Oh Anne, I am soo sorry. I went through the same thing with my dog when we lost our Leo, his best friend (and of course mine). I agree and do know they suffer from depression, perhaps the saving grace for poor Utopie is that she didn't know him all of her life so hopefully her heart will mend soon. I hope yours will too.  I have thought about you and do hope you will be feeling better soon.

So sorry for you, Anne, it is a terrible loss. I cried reading the piece on burying a dog that you wrote Nettie.

I have elderly cats whom I love dearly and know the day will come soon when they are no longer with me. I dread it and know something of what you are going through.