Doggy do dos

tracteurtom

We have 3 dogs and a large garden to which the dogs have free access.  We always pick the dog muck up and put it in a plastic bag that we then put with the household rubbish.  It has been suggested to me that I could dig a large hole away from the house and put the muck in there, cover with soil after each deposit, and nature will slowly dispose of it for us. This to me sounds a much better plan than the plastic bags, but will it work and are there any other hazards I need to be aware of ?  Any advice on this anyone ?

Cheers Phil

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I remember seeing a while back in one of the large multi pet shops in the UK a dog poo composter. If I remember correctly it was something that you buried in the ground  that was probably no more than a few feet wide and deep to do just as you have mentioned. I do think there was some sort of additive that was added to it occasionally but I am not sure.

Someone that knows better may be able to answer but I wonder if you did bury something in the ground and added a product like what you flush down the loo to activate a fosse would work. In any case, it does sounds much easier and Eco friendly than the plastic bags to me.

If you garden is large enough just find an out of the way corner and dump it there, it will be fine, it won't smell, it won't be a health hazard and it will just keep breaking down, it's something like 98% water anyway.

Chris

we use a combination of methods !!!

1.    If the grass is too long and you can't find it, wait for rain to wash it away !
2.    If there is a patch of earth nearby to where you find it, bury it.

3.   If there is a bit of scrub land (or an area which we are not cultivating or grassing) nearby to where we find it, fling it (not by hand you understand !) in that direction - it will be gone in days.

4.   If we find it near the permanent bonfire area (I say permanent because there always seems to be one stacking up ready), then we fling it on the bonfire.

All that leaves is the ones we miss and which splatter up when we cut the grass, but hey ho, we chose to have a dog...

Honestly, all of above work fine as far as I am concerned, and I am not aware of any hazards, but then again we don't have children.   If we had small children I suppose option 3. would have to go.

The kennels we take our dogs to burn the lot. I am not certain about the effects on the environment but its better than putting it in some of the plastic bags that will preserve it for the next generation or two.

• 3 weeks later...