Pregnant cat........

Celestine

Next doors cat is pregnant AGAIN! He hasnt had her done so shes always pregnant then the kittens disappear - Im assuming theyve been disposed of. Yesterday, she came over to my house (I do feed her every night!) and started meowing and following me everywhere. I made up a box for her with covers in but as soon as I moved she jumped out. She did this for most of the day, then it just stopped and shes not doing it at all today although shes still keen to stay here when she would usually be an outside cat. Has anyone else had this happen? She did this once before, exactly the same symptons and had her kitten on my kitchen floor! Unfortunately once my back was turned she fled with kitten still attached and that kitten was never seen again. Wasnt sure if maybe labour could be a long process with cats and yesterday was a false alarm? Any advice please?

Cooper, Lola and Chevron (our current moggie population) were similarly dumped by a stray cat under the bed of some of our friends one night.  In that case though, the mother decided to move in!

There's little you can do to persuade any cat to have her kittens where you want her to, in my experience.  However, if you do spot her giving birth, or close to doing so, you could try shutting her in somewhere and making her stay there for a few days while she establishes herself and her offspring.  Much depends upon the attitude of your neighbours, of course.  Do you want the kittens?  If so, why not talk to the neighbour, and say you'll take them on, rather than letting him "dispose" of them?  If you're feeling generous, you could also try offering to pay for her op' or sharing the cost.  But much depends upon your relationship with him.

If you stress a cat during labour, then the kittens also become stressed, and it can lead to death of mother and babies.

Its best just to keep a very close eye on her, and watch where she is having them and move after the births.