Unwanted tom cat

Edward Trunk

A tomcat has been coming into our house through the cat door and marking his territory in the usual way. The attraction is no doubt our 2 females. They have been microchipped, and I have heard that you can get cat doors operated by these chips. Does anyone have any experience as to how efficient these are? They are quite expensive.

No experience with the microchip cat flap as our cat won't use the flap to come in only to go out so she has the basic flap! If you have a look on amazon.co.uk there are several microchip cat flaps advertised and there are a few comments from the buyers and you could also look at zooplus.co.uk

Chris

I only know one family who has one and they are very pleased with it.  They bought it to keep out next door's agressive cat after bad experiences with a catflap of the magnetic collar type where their cat's collar sometimes twisted round and so it was unable to operate the flap.  Their new one is a Sureflap and they bought it from Amazon.  Looking at the customer reviews on the Amazon page most people seem very happy with the product though one or two have had problems - everyone says, though, that the company's customer service is exceptional and every effort has been made to sort these problems out.  If your cats were microchipped in France it might be worth checking with the company that this won't make any difference, as I think the chip is implanted in a different place.  It is certainly worth reading through the Amazon product reviews as some customers have had particular difficulties which might be relevant - if their cat is very large, for example.  If you do get one we'd be interested to hear your opinion of how well it works!

Val