Pet insurance

SparkyNewall

Yes, every vet's waiting area is full of pamphlets.  If you google "assurance animaux de compagnie" you will get loads of results. 

No idea of any company to recommend as I always feel that the more animals you have, the more you will pay in direct proportion, whereas the chance of more than one of them getting a serious ailment or being runover is not the same.  If you see what I mean.  I also suspect that the older your pet is when you start the contract, the dearer it will be, and we usually take on older animals.

Chrissie (81)

I work on the basis that insurance on goods and pets means that if you insure everything then you will pay out more than you receive, assuming you insure goods as well.

I once bought a £5.99 watch at Argos and they asked if I wanted to take out insurance at £3.99!!!!!

• 4 months later...
I can't recommend any companies but I looked into it for our dog, as he had to have 2000 euros worth of surgery on a knee and has a 50% of having to have the other one done before long. (It was a TPLO..the plus is it is cheaper than in the UK)

Many insurance companies I looked at will not start a new policy if the dog is over 7 years of age.. some of them over 3 years of age. There are a lot of exclusions.. read the small print carefully. Some won't cover working dogs, hunting dogs or dogs doing other types of sports.

There are different levels of cover and most policies no matter how good seem to have an annual maximum. It is rare to find a policy that will reimburse you 100% for anything..most seem to offer 50% or 80% cover.

Hope you find something to suit you. I couldn't in the end and just decided to put some money away into a savings scheme for the dog.

We decided not to insure our dog(then a 4yr.old labrador) a few years ago but to open a savings account for her.  Our renewal had risen and the excess had changed.

They wanted an excess of £250 plus 10% of the Vets bills.  So after 3 years we've saved because she hasn't had to visit the vet other than for vaccinations and for her Passport checks.

So I hope you find something to suit you.