To those worried about education...

SaligoBay

In Living France this month the girl who was featured in 'Chaos at the Castle' recommends employing a french 'au pair' before people move to France. Perhaps you could turn the suggestion on its head and employ an English au pair in the holidays say, with the task of keeping the kids written English up to scratch.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote]The only way children of immigrant families can become completely bilingual is if they keep learning their mother tongue, and by that I mean the written form. Even if British children survive the Fren...[/quote]

Now that is a very good posting, it picks up some good points.

We know of many kids who came her early and then struggled with their written English in life after school. Remember, the kids are learning English through the French system, so now think of how you once learned French at school and ask if it set many of you up for coming here to speak fluent or even half fluent French or perhaps more importantly, any French at all ?

I have said before, it comes out often, as writing phonetically. This is something that many people will not realise may well or probably happen with their kids if they stay for some time in France. It will be important to spend time with the children but very few find they have the time or energy after all the work they have done during the day and as you have so rightly pointed out, the kids long days, mean little energy levels left to do even more homework on top of what they have been already set.

We all know the story come here and you will be getting quality time with the family, sure one or both of you will be with them quite a lot more but will you use that time in helping them or simply like so many, all the time is often spent on the renovations and leisure (when you can grab the time it that is !!).

You have picked up well on the differing systems and I guess as Gay has pointed out, perhaps, if money and time allows, then a part time English teacher could be a very good way to ensure your child keeps her English up to scratch. This is one of the reasons why I personally feel, that if one wants to bring kids here, my perfect age is just before college and a redouble at CM level, when their English has had a good grounding. It is personal I know but my experience of it and watching the situation from other families, shows it to be a good age to arrive if you want your childs English, written especially to stay at a fair standard.

Good luck.

Miki what you are saying is so true. My kids were born here, so their French (written or spoken) has never been a problem. On the other hand, their written English is almost totally phonetic. They learnt to read in french and have transferred their skills to reading in english (although they prefer French) But they just don't get any practise in writing in English. I don't count the hour and a half a week of english they get in primaire, it's mostly spoken.

In my enthusiastic moments, I plan to spend 10 minutes a day getting them to write for me in English. In reality, once they have come home from school, had their gouter and done their homework, neither they nor I feel like doing any extra work.

This is the way it is, I have to accept it. Since we live in france and we aren't planning on leaving, it is probably more important to make sure their french is up to scratch. I know that when the eldest goes into collège next year, he will start having to write correctly in English, but what's expected of a collège pupil isn't going make him fully biliterate. The best I can hope for is better than most other french people.

So saying, I actually learnt to read and write english with a phonetic system and although I still have problems with spelling, I manage to get myself understood when I write in English. And having learnt french from the age of 11 through the UK school system, my written french is better than a lot of french people I know (I won't go into the number of pupils I have who write phonetically in french- it's too dezpressing)

What is it with this forum!!

Their are a couple of you oldies out there who just will not let people have their say! Why do you ALWAYS have to be so derogatory about peoples replies! Miki, especially, you are so opinionated about what YOU think is a good or bad posting, that I'm starting to think you have nothing better to do than upset people!

Please let new people make their comments without you tearing them to pieces.

My understanding is, this is a forum where we are all entitled to our say, you included, but over the last few months, you have attacked so many postings, that it is becoming quite ridiculous, and not nice!

Can't wait for your reply!

"It's very short sighted to educate them here then hope they will get employed in the UK. There are a few problems with that, sufficient help in the UK, sufficient funds to go back and still you have to find work in the area you can find housing which everyone says is dire, so...."

Also, Miki, when you are going to "reply"to someones posting, could you please read it correctly before the attack!

I NEVER said that I wanted them to go back to England for employment!

What is it with this forum!!

Their are a couple of you oldies out there who just will not let people have their say! Why do you ALWAYS have to be so derogatory about peoples replies! Miki, especially, you are so opinionated about what YOU think is a good or bad posting, that I'm starting to think you have nothing better to do than upset people!

Let us see how maybe it all works then, someone posts, others may agree, some disagree, some add something else to it, useful or not, sometimes very useful or just a repeat from an earlier thread.

What do you suggest us oldies do then ? Simply tell lies to suit, agree knowing it is not true but it will at least appease the poster. Or should those of us with some, or often, a lot of experience in some cases, tell it as it is ?

Please let new people make their comments without you tearing them to pieces.

I really do not see it as tearing them to pieces, to me it is putting another side to it all, if you can't see that, then I have to say I wonder how much you believe in your views.

My understanding is, this is a forum where we are all entitled to our say, you included, but over the last few months, you have attacked so many postings, that it is becoming quite ridiculous, and not nice!

What I think you mean, is that some of us do not roll over and get cheesy about things here that we honestly do not believe is correct. It is far too easy to come here and believe that it is all so very wonderful, school is great, lunches at 9.50€ are the bees knees, the embraces and bonjours on every corner and that the French, including those in SAV are the best in the world. Yes, I suspect most of us have kind of been there at one time.

At some time in your stay, should it be of a fair time, most, if not ALL the things you first thought were just wonderful, will change and then France takes on the air simply of a country you live in. In can even be better as you get more in sync with it and its surroundings but I truly believe that few on here will ever still think of it, as it was here in their first few years in France.

And if people like me write to the contrary, then I sometimes think that some people feel their very dream is being attacked. You speak how you feel but do you really expect others to simply let some things slip by when one knows it is not like that for the greater part. I feel grateful to a few on here for their experience and knowledge in certain areas. They gave it straight, when on occasions I had thought different but by listening and going to see if it was true, I learned and carry on learning here in France. However long you live here, there is always something that jumps up and reminds you, that fathoming out France and the French ain't none too easy. 

So in finishing I think you will find that all of us started at position one and know the early pitfalls, if you think I am saying it wrongly, or have got it wrong altogether, then just like you I am posting my opinion. You though, are telling me how it should be said, so how does that work out, do we ALL have to post as you see fit ?

Or as I see it, take it or leave it.  I think the advice I offer is right or pretty close but of course, perhaps it isn't, and if it isn't, then don't take it.

&nbs

1.  If they were educated in England, they were hoping to travel extensively anyway, so why do they have to be employed here in France? Still think that by being educated here, learning a new culture, etc, their lives have become more fulfilled.

2. I NEVER said that I wanted them to go back to England for employment!

Rightly or wrongly and you being from the UK, then I believed that after being educated here, their probable only other other choice of employment, would be to go back to work there. Was that not a pretty simple well worn formula for me to work out ? And again, not an attack, you must see that a forum is often for very differing opinions, often not in line with ones own.