home education & qualifications.

marcel ah so

We have found that school life for our two childern has been incredibly tough going- for reasons I dont have the space to go into here. I am now contemplating home education. We have to stay in france for 3-4 years but still see the uk as our home long term , therefore I am thinking about taking british qualifications & wondered if anyone has done corresponse courses from the uk & how that has worked? I have previously home educated my kids in the uk, but hoped that smaller class sizes & the small rural community we live in would be better, it isnt working out this way. I would also be intrested to hear  ( i realise the chances are pretty slim) from any home educating families living in 23 ( creuse).

I thank anyone for there help .   Fran Howell.

Hi

The postal courses can be expensive and a bit dry.

I am a home educator in France and I brought with me a number of GSCE textbooks which I find useful ( especially if they correspond to any schools tv programs which family and friends tape and send over).

Also, the exam syllabuses vary a great deal, so its worth buying the exam syllabus for each subject ( they don't cost much)  or downloading it. It would be terrible if your child spent 2 years studying the wrong syllabus

You should not have too much trouble finding a school / centre in the UK that will allow an external student to sit exams. Of course, being a home educator, the downside is you may have to pay a fee for the use of the the school. You will certainly have to pay for each exam! 

I think if I were to home educate in France I would follow the UK syllabus, that is if I was allowed to, not sure of the whole procedure though.  The CNED is an option for some I guess.  I have a friend here who is contemplating this for her daughter.  She has home educated her older children before.

She too thinks our local village school is tosh. She has been battling with the school for the past couple of years by only sending her daughter part of the time. It will change when she starts CP.  Her daughter is already has attained so much more knowledge than should would have gained at the local school. The social interaction has not been an issue yet as she has  lots of friends, family and animals.  As she gets older I cannot see this changing for her around here as the local school just raises kids to work in the local Dechetterie, Chalk factory and Intermarche.  Thats it.

Deby

• 2 weeks later...

I will contact you soon , MrsNickD , I have just looked at the forum and was wondering if anyone has had any problems with the education authorities in regard to the british families not following the required french curriculum that home ed french kids are required to follow. Although i can speak french to a degree , certainly its not to the level necessary to do this , even if I had wanted to. Because I would be withdrawing them from school , the authorities would know where i am & I cannot elude them. Has anyone had any expirence of dealings with them?

Many thanks for your thoughts & views.

Fran.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an ex-teacher (hoping to be a teacher in France) but just finishing writing some work for really low ability kids and kids who hate school in England.

However, what I was going to suggest is that the exam boards have all their syllabi on the internet free of charge eg. www.aqa.org.uk and www.ocr.org.uk There are others which you can get hold of. 

The national curriculum is also available (if that is of interest) with lots of ideas for younger kids www.ncaction.org.uk and www.standards.dfes.gov.uk 

These sites have lots of ideas, and if you were to print soem off - you could persuade a visiting inspector that you were organised! And then they'd leave you alone.

Margaret