What age do kids go to secondary school in France?

Romy

Hi there

This is my first posting and probably the first of many, we are seriously thinking of moving to France next summer and I am at the info gathering stage. Where can I find out accurate information on the school system in France? I have heard that children go to secondary school a year ealrier than in the UK and this is bothering me slightly as my eldest will be going on 10 when me make the move. He is a very bright, positive child so I am hopeful his transition would be successful over time but I was hoping he would have two years before going to the secondary school. My daughter will be going on 7 so I am not too concerned about her transition.

I have found an English website in the past explaining the French Education system but I cannot find it again, can anyone recommend one to me?

It is really helpful to be able to read other peoples experiences.

Thanks

Although the school year runs from September to end June/start July the students are admitted according to their age in the calender year, just to make life confusing.  So, my son who was 11 last May (actually it's his 12th today!) started Collège last September, but if his 11th birthday had been after January 1st 2006 he would not be starting Collège until this coming September. There is apparently some flexibility up until about the 27th Jaunary where a student may be admitted a year ahead.

[quote user="Suze"]Although the school year runs from September to end June/start July the students are admitted according to their age in the calender year, just to make life confusing.  [/quote]

I think it makes life a whole lot easier!   You don't have to know the child's birthday to know what class they should be in, you only have to know the year of birth.

Born 1994, should be in 6ème right now (i.e. first year of collège (secondary school)).

so, does this mean if he is born in June 1997 then he will start secondary school in three years time ie once he has turned 12? If this is the case then this means he will start at the same time he would if we were to stay here, I hope this is the case as this would make me happier.

As I am sure it is for all of you who have made the move with kids, whatever age, they are our main concern and most likely to be the reason we don't go. Mind you the thought of not going fills me with dread, more so than the fear of going. I am sure this is normal.

Has anyone else here moved a 10 yr old? I'd be interested to hear, I'll read all the other postings in the meantime.

Thanks

Fiona

If a child follows his age group, then he will go to college at 11 or 10 and three-quarters.  But, as you may have gathered from your research, if your child arrives with minimal French, then in all likelihood, he will be held back a year in CM2 so he can catch up.  Also, the other thing worth bearing in mind is that a collège only four years, so it's not as scary as a secondary school going up to 18.

Hi

Born 1995 start college (high school) Sept 2006

1996            2007

1997            2008

Generally speaking, although some bright children can start a year earlier and equally if there have struggled through a school year they can stay back a year, generally there can be an age range of 2 years in a class.  Staying back a year here in France is the norm if the child has struggled.

My children were 8 10 and 13 when we made the move three years ago.

Lollie   Dept 44

Hello

My kids started French school last September, they are just 7, 10 will be 11 in August and just 13.  My 10 year old is in CM2 the last year of primary school.  He is due to start college in September 2006. We are a little worried as he is not as confidant with his French as his siblings, but his teacher told us he will be fine.

Its not unusual for children to be held back (redouble), an English boy in my daughters class (6eme) has redoubled this year and my daughter should be in 5eme, but due to her lack of French they put her in 6eme.  There are many French kids that have done this also, its very common to my mind and there isn't a stigma attached.  Better to move them up when they are ready, not because society says so.

My kids are all very happy in their schools and have progressed at an acceptional rate, I'm sure yours will too.

[quote user="Romy"]so, does this mean if he is born in June 1997 then he will start secondary school in three years time ie once he has turned 12? [/quote]

My daughter was born in April 1997. She is in CE2 at the moment, will go into CM1 in september, CM2 in september 2007 and collège in september 2008 aged 11 and 4 months.

Redoublement is getting less common in France (particularly in primaire) but there are still quite a few kids who do it. There is still a bit stigma attached to it and families are generally quite negative when it is  proposed by the conseil. But it is quickly forgotten and by the end of collège you end up with classes of such varied ages that no-one notices (I have one class of 3eme where the ages go from 11 to 16)