HELP ESL for children with various none EU languages and education levels

Sunshine

I am currently working for a French school which is not in the EU teaching English to mainly Arabic but also French children who speak very little or no English. I also have to deal with the wide ranging levels of education in each class.

The position I have is not what I accepted, but perhaps it was a translation problem. This is my first teaching role so I am a complete beginner and this was clearly explained at the interview. The work this group has undertaken is one I would like to be apart of, hence my plea for help.

Apart from the Nursery group and another group aged 6-10years my main problem is the 15 children aged 4-5 years who I teach, alone, for 6 periods a week.

There is only a very small budget, I have no syllabus, and few resources.

Can any one recommend a good ESL for children website with lesson plans and free teaching material to help me. I have seen the BBC website.

Any help or advise would be appreciated. Stressed is not the word!

Thank you for your help.

I cannot tell you how much I apreciate it. The PM looked to have lots and lots of ideas. I am sitting on the floor amidst a heap of paper work and getting no where. I have tried to resign twice but it is a worthy cause!

Thank you Norman for the websites.  I have a look at the Forum that you mentioned and a contributor suggested a website for worksheets:

www.enchantedlearning.com

I had a look at it and it has masses of useful worksheets.  Take a look (although you probably know about it).

Good luck Sunshine.

Teaching English to 4 -5 year old children is not about teaching it is more about holding their interest.

I have taught English to French primary aged children of this age and what works very well are songs, especially those with actions. Nursery rhymes are a good thing, but you might have to take into account cultural issues as you could land yourself in hot water especially if you are teaching to an Arabic culture.

You could also try role plays or playlets with words and actions.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote user="Deby"]Teaching English to 4 -5 year old children is not about teaching it is more about holding their interest.

I have taught English to French primary aged children of this age and what works very well are songs, especially those with actions. Nursery rhymes are a good thing, but you might have to take into account cultural issues as you could land yourself in hot water especially if you are teaching to an Arabic culture.

You could also try role plays or playlets with words and actions.[/quote]

Thanks Deby

Can you recommend any good websites for Winter songs for a group of 15 children aged 4-5years old with only one or two words of english. And another for 4 children aged 6-8 years. I am looking for a winter theme of the SEA. no religious songs!. I have just wasted a fair bit of money on an alphabet book as supplies are limited here. Can you recommend any books to help with TEFL especially starter books for me with worksheets.