Contrle Technique

Liz

Our car is coming up to 4 years old so the Contrle Technique will be required. No problem getting it organised, there seem to be loads of places around that do them, but I just wondered if, like in the UK you get a reminder. Also if there are any tricks like, for example, in the UK you can have the MOT done a month before the due date and gain an extra month. I have also seen Pre-contrle checks advertised. Are these worth having or is it something that anyone with a bit of common sense, check lights are working, tyres OK etc, can do. What are the requirements, is there a list of points to be checked on a web site somewhere?

Liz (29)

Hi

I'm in a similar position. I have a car coming up to 4 years old.

I have another older car and get reminders, but they come from my local CT depot. I don't think they are sent from a national database, but it is possible as CT depots appear to have standard software.

The CT technician keys in your vehicle details, and all the checks are listed. Emission data, brake test results, etc. are automatically recorded on the certificate.

Despite this, I was passed with a list of things I should take a look at. These were things that would have been a fail in UK :

Bald patch on inside of tyre
1 headlamp not working at all
Hazard light switch not working
No plate lamp bulb gone etc

And I didn't see him check seat belts, wipers and washers.

I haven't come across a published list of checks, but it seems to be rather flexible.

Peter
The Languedoc Page : http://tlp.netfirms.com

Hi Liz, my picasso is due for her first one next weekend but I havn't organised anything yet. We did get a reminder from Somoda just after xmas reminding us the first contrle was this year and tauting for the pleasure but I prefer our local garage to deal with it all. Those pre-checks can be costly if you don't watch out who you are dealing with. I have the problem that I still have nearly 12000km before the next service but I would prefer the car to be in top shape to pass the contrle and I also believe I need two front tyres replacing from the original ones,all this and the test would be taken care of in one swoop by our local bloke.

• 3 weeks later...
At the Contrle Technique centre they should have a schedule of what is tested.
If your vehicle fails then I believe you have 2 months to rectify the faults, you will be given a free re-test within this 2 month period.
Emmissions, Brakes, Suspension, Lights and Bodywork / Chassis / Jacking points are the biggies.

The garage that sold me the C15 used the CT station for a pre-check i.e. take it in, get a list of failures and minor items not requiring a re-test and thus know what to fix.

Suggest that you do NOT rely on someone reminding you - write it on your forehead in reverse

John not Di

http://www.autosur.com/
This site gives advice on points which you can check before presenting your vehicle as well as full details of the test.