Road tax on return to England

Jacks

Basically you have 2 choices.

1. Re-immatriculate your car on to French plates.

2. Send back all your forms for someone to get you the UK tax disc.

Mind you the second one is only a guess, beacause I suspect the application for road tax is a little different to when we last needed to purchase it. I think a Guiness label was the most popular "tax disc" I saw in London on my last visit !!

Who is insuring your vehicule, I seem to remember that some people have had problems with a copy of the french insurance forms and the post office not accepting it.

You will need to sort this before your return. Also,won't you have a fine awaiting you if it has run out, with the new system in place?

My suggestion, ring Swansea.

If you are living in France then you should re-register your vehicle in France within three months of arrival. A French-registered vehicle does not need an English tax disc.

If remaining in France follow advice above and register your car in France ASAP no road tax in France. As a first step you will need to contact DVLA to get a car exported certificate. You return your log book to them fist but keep a photocopy. Unless you notify them you will get fined as soon as your UK road tax expires.

If you want to keep your car UK registered you will have to change the address on your UK log book to a friend or relative's address. Then when the time comes to re-tax the car send them the insurance cert and MOT cert and the money to do it. This is not strictly kosher and won't work if you have french insurance. Your UK insurance will only cover up to 90 or so days abroad and will need to be the same address as your car registration. Don't forget to note in your diary when the road tax expires as you won't get the reminder and they don't always arrive from DVLA.

A slightly different situation but.....

I had to leave my car in the UK and would n't be back until 6 months after the road tax had run out. I sent the form to the DVLA filling in the appropriate section about it not being on the road. Didn't have to pay. One month before I came back a friend went to the PO with the insurance and MOT certs plus cheque and by the time I got back it had the road tax cert in the corner of the windscreen.

Whether you could do the same while driving around France and get the tax cert sent to you so it is quite happily on display when you drive back................who knows?

Coral

The official DVLA line is that you should get an export certificate as soon as you arrive in France, if you intend to stay here, and re-register the vehicle.

As you cannot tax an exported vehicle you cannot, technically, legally return with it to UK until it is re-registered. Although our (true) explanation that the vehicle was exported and going through French reimmatriculation bureaucracy was accepted in UK on one occasion a while ago, I suspect a more pedantic policeman might take a different view now and in case of accident you could well be in a dodgy situation insurance-wise. Even if you keep up your UK road tax, insurers looking for a way to avoid paying out a claim could refuse if they found out that the vehicle was normally kept at a different place from its registered address given on the insurance documents.