Car registered in the UK (french insurance)

DBUD

[quote]apologies for large (deceased) dog - it looks like checking the 'automatically resize to 80 x 80 pixels' button does nothing now left with daughter's manic patterdale...[/quote]

Now that dog looks a right character, daren't let daughter see it, she will be on all day for one the same !! Same problem though, who will look after it?????

CW I wasn't having a dig at Darren about the previous posts and not doing a search, I was just stating that this topic had been covered in the last couple of months, perhaps I should have added that it was not obvious as it was under "Taken to court"

Whether we like it or not MIKI is right and it is only when there is a problem that those who choose to flout the British and French laws will get their commeuppance, let us hope that innocent people do not also have to suffer for their arrogance. 

You only have to walk around the car parks at the cheap flight airports to see some of the wrecks that English people are using on the cheap, three year old tax discs, no insurance, probably no MOT, and yes I know the French may also do it, but that does not excuse the English from obeying French law does it? 

Anybody know of an insurer in France or UK who will insure my 11 year old UK car in France whilst I do the necessary organisation/paperwork to register it there permanently?? I only live there on a part time basis and, so far, my insurance company says that they will insure my car for 90 days foreign travel in EU but it is assumed that I will be with the vehicle at all times whereas, some of the time, I will be in the UK and the vehicle will be in our garage in France. Probably only need third party fire and theft, plus public liability. Thanks a lot. SaraMcK

I don't think many French insurers would refuse to insure you but you will probably need to give your French address as the place it will "housed at". It simply brings up the legality of you changing the British car on to French plates within 6 months. Although you personally will not be resident for a while, the car will be, so to speak.

I would inform the insurance company of the full story, not much point in having insurance if the car gets stolen or damaged whilst in the garage and you don't know for a few months, it will mean a fair bit of explaining why you never claimed before.

Of course like many Brits there is the possibility of playing Russian roulette with the law !

Oh dear chucking out time at the local Slough Kebab gaff and the milky bar kids back on the forum

I don't know if you have realised but every day one is in France can more or less be sussed out, think about it.................

Anybody know of an insurer in France or UK who will insure my 11 year old UK car in France whilst I do the necessary organisation/paperwork to register it there permanently??

Holy Smoke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are we getting back to somewhere near the original question? If you want the details of my insurance broker send me a private message. I have to be resident here and am entitled to no more that 28 days per year in the UK. The car must have a current MOT or controle technique when the MOT runs out. As to re-registering?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well that's a question I am re-investigating but have not had problems so far. I'm not flouting regulations or anything like that (although I'm sure some would rather otherwise!) but am now checking my own situation again as I don't want to end up in a bad situation if I could have easily avoided it.

As to integration criticisms - I actually like my English plates on my English car. I integrate like the best of them but I'm an English lass living in France. I will do everything possible to fit in but I'm not French and don't want to be just because I live here. One thing I really miss here compared to UK is 'multiculturalness' (doubt this is a real word!!!) and think that other people from other places enrich rather than spoil - as long as they respect the culture they have moved in to. So I'm a Brit (for better and worse) and have no desire to hide it! All this from a silly numberplate? Silly I know but I'd rather keep it if I can!!! A few honest words from someone who is not afraid to admit to homesickness once in a while however much she loves her little slice of rural France!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

As to integration criticisms - I actually like my English plates on my English car. I integrate like the best of them but I'm an English lass living in France. I will do everything possible to fit in but I'm not French and don't want to be just because I live here. One thing I really miss here compared to UK is 'multiculturalness' (doubt this is a real word!!!) and think that other people from other places enrich rather than spoil - as long as they respect the culture they have moved in to. So I'm a Brit (for better and worse) and have no desire to hide it! All this from a silly numberplate? Silly I know but I'd rather keep it if I can!!! A few honest words from someone who is not afraid to admit to homesickness once in a while however much she loves her little slice of rural France!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

What are you going on about ? This is about legality not integration, it's not just you or only those from the UK, it's anyone who imports a car in to France and it is about the legal situation from a French point of view as well. Perhaps it is a silly number plate, agreed and no one is saying that it is anything else but if the French make a rule about such things, surely it ain't so silly any more is it? 

Please, do keep your plate and your honest words (although I have no idea what your honest words have to do with the legal ruling) and be a little bit of England that will forever ride the highways and byways of rural France, just don't have any accidents after the legal timing, well serious  enough to interest Monsieur Plod, whilst on those silly plates.

I just cannot fathom out anyone who simply won't believe that it is illegal not to change those plates, do you really think those of us that are telling you are making it all up, I even translated something from the official regs for you. It really is common knowledge for thousands and thousands of Brits and other nationalities living here . Oh well none so blind as them that won't listen..........

As for multicultural, that seems to be the byword for why so many have left the UK,  blaming the government for letting so many immigrants in to the country, so your version is a welcome twist to the norm !

Oh Miki get off your high horse. I've already said that I'm looking into the situation again. I was told one set of things by one set of people and now another by you and yours. You are quite probably right which is why I am looking in to it and will change things if I need to. I actually read something in one of these 'things you need to do in France' that said the re-registering after a year thing no longer applies so who the hell knows! I will seek out official opinion and abide by that, so rest easy. AS for my off on a tangent whimsical words, that's all they were. I just get a bit sick of people slagging off the horrible Brits and how we should all be more integrated than the locals. I like my Marmite and English TV! and I actually miss the diversity of Tescos although I never thought I would say that!!!!!! Don't get me wrong, I haven't got a Union Jack flying over the house or anything I just like choice and diversity. As I said, a bit of whimsy! but I shouldn't think anyone much is reading this thread by now so who the hell cares?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Being 'multi cultural' is supposed to be one of the UKs greatest assets !

Hear hear Russethouse. You don't realise what you've got till it's gone and all the indirect benefits that filter out into things like availability in supermarkets. Don't get me wrong, I love all things French but would appreciate a few more things not, too!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Miki get off your high horse.

I back horses, I don't get on them and that's the truth.

I've already said that I'm looking into the situation again. I was told one set of things by one set of people and now another by you and yours.

Trust me, the rules are set in stone anyone else will simply be talking out their wotsit.

You are quite probably right which is why I am looking in to it and will change things if I need to. I actually read something in one of these 'things you need to do in France' that said the re-registering after a year thing no longer applies so who the hell knows! I will seek out official opinion and abide by that, so rest easy.

Good decision, only one thing, and many on here will back it up. The fonctionnaires here don't agree with each other in the same office, let alone regional or even worse, nationwide and at the end of the day, it is you that will pay any fine, not them clever dicks !

AS for my off on a tangent whimsical words, that's all they were. I just get a bit sick of people slagging off the horrible Brits and how we should all be more integrated than the locals. I like my Marmite and English TV!

So do 99% of the people on this forum, have no fear about that, maybe less for the marmite but substitute that for mature cheddar and it's 99% again !

and I actually miss the diversity of Tescos although I never thought I would say that!!!!!!

Umpteen years down the line and the ones who have lived here the longest would back you up with that one as well

Don't get me wrong, I haven't got a Union Jack flying over the house or anything I just like choice and diversity.

Whoops there it kind of goes woozy, France and those 2 things don't often mix I'm afraid !

There not so far apart really.

Gay,

Yes it is supposed to be, it's convincing much of the country that's all !