Accidents and claims

Patf

We seem to have had a spate of accidents and problems with vehicles lately ( Renault Laguna and little white van.) The latest involved Eddie hitting a rebounding dog and I thought I would pass on the advice of M. Claude the Axa man. The dog had been hit by a car coming in the opposite diection and was thrown onto our car, going under and damaging the oil system. The thing to do is to stop, examine the dog for signs of identification, contact the owner and obtain details of his household insurance so you can claim from him, as it was his dog that caused the accident. Then our no-claims bonus ( such as it is ) wouldn't be affected. But if there's no means of identification obviously anyone who is asked "was this your dog?" is going to deny all knowledge. Useful advice.  Hitting a sanglier, which is what happened to me, has no such way out as they don't belong to anyone. Pat.

Pat. Thought we were the only ones to have accidents at least one per year here,usually other people's doing. Dogs really are a nuisance here too,but my husband got hit by a magpie which hit his windscreen causing him to "fall" off the high tarmac road edge and career across the road ending up nose down inthe fosse. Luckily he wasn't hurt and the insurance paid up.

I was wondering about this today, as my neighbour hit my car while parked outside my house with his tractor !!!

Luckily I saw it as he bashed it out of the way with his hay bale and pushed it into my garden wall.

Looking at it, the mirrors broken, has big scratches down the bonnet, side of the wing and at the back the back wing is all scratched and scuffed. At least it needs a respray and mirror.

His response was *phone your insurance* no mention about his insurance company.

Would this be like the UK and it wouldn't affect my no claims as its his fault ??? My insurance company was shut to ask otherwise I'll get him to fork out for the repairs himself.

thanks in advance

pippa

You need to get onto your insurance pronto and tell them what happened. And yes, you will lose part of your no claims if you don't claim against his.

Becareful, sometimes your insurance company will say you were 50% to blame...... please don't ask me if there is any logic or reason to this happening, there isn't as far as I can ascertain.

I was going to say the same thing, TU. We had an accident last year when a tractor rolled back onto us at a junction, flattening the bonnet. Luckily for us the tractor driver was very cooperative and gave us his details. The next day we made a declaration and in the end the tractor driver's insurer paid up. You really need to contact the man and get all the information. Pat.

Pippa Get hold of a european accident reporting form,ASAP.

All drivers in the EU except Britain cvarry them with them, you usually get sent one when you apply for a green card in the UK.  Take it to your neighbour and get it filled in.  It is an agreed statement of events, it does not apportion blame, it simply records what happened and where. it also records insurance policy details etc  You only need to complete one copy, it is duplicated, you have both sign it to agree the facts of the accident and you send it or take to your insurance agent.  Get this done without delay.  If you do not have a form, ask your neighbour if he has one or to accompany you to your agent to complete one.  It is not compulsory in France, but it is certainly the normal process in geting a claim started.

[quote]You need to get onto your insurance pronto and tell them what happened. And yes, you will lose part of your no claims if you don't claim against his. Becareful, sometimes your insurance company will...[/quote]

I recently had a prang where the French female driver considered I was at fault by being on the wrong side of the road whereas I stated she was travelling too fast so neither of us signed the other's form, I told Axa I thought 50/50 would be right and they agreed consequently I only paid half my excess and have not lost my No Claims in fact the cost has gone down by 200 euros per year as I discovered on renewing the Policy 2 weeks ago.

BTW. the ''road'' in question is 7'6'' wide with a blind bend.