Who is correct? Me or my Son in Law !!!

les Favets

During a discussion last night a topic relating to a friend of my son in law who lives in France and has an English right hand vehicle with English number plates.  The discussion revolved around the fact that the friend was able to obtain annual insurance cover from a well known English insurance company, therefor not changing his vehicle to a French registration.  I posed the question " What happens when he returns to England and he does not have a tax disc" and the argument was that as he lives in France permanently, he doesn't have to have to show a tax disc.  I cant believe that any one driving around England in a vehicle with English number plates without an English tax disc. would be legal, irrespective of that person now living in France.

Les Favets

[quote]During a discussion last night a topic relating to a friend of my son in law who lives in France and has an English right hand vehicle with English number plates. The discussion revolved around the f...[/quote]

I reckon that both of you are right, and wrong...

If "this friend" can arrange UK insurance & tax (by post) and MOT (by returning to the UK every year), then he can be legal in France - even if he lives here. If he can't arrange ALL of the above, then he can't, without registering said vehicle here. Easy!

[quote]I reckon that both of you are right, and wrong... If "this friend" can arrange UK insurance & tax (by post) and MOT (by returning to the UK every year), then he can be legal in France - even if ...[/quote]

I can't wait for your "friend" to have an accident/commit a traffic offence, and post a question on how he explains to a country policeman/insurance company, the cars registration position. He will be wiping his eyes with his sleeve then.