General Car Expenses

Hi

Can anyone tell me what the general car expenses and legals are each year? ie road tax, mot and any other mandatory expense.

Is car insurance included in the road tax like Australia or is it bought seperately like in England?

Any guidance on this would be greatfully appreciated.

Kind regards

Richard

No road tax.

Controlle Technique needed every two years - costs approx 40-45 euros

Insurance needed - bought separately as in UK. 1992 Honda Prelude = 350 euros pa

Additional costs to register a UK car in France depending on make.

Suggest that to keep your costs down you consider buying Peugeot or Renault.

Linda

No road tax

Insurance depends on where you live. It's a little cheper than the U.K. but not much.

If you use motorways you pay a toll. This adds up if you do a lot of long distance driving.

Servicing at a main dealer is a little cheaper than in the U.K.

Thanks for that. I've been thinking about buying a Peugeot 307 diesel, so that'll keep costs down as you say.

It sounds like motoring in France is very cheap. So the only annual costs are insurance and the mot every 2 years. I guess motorway tolls pay for the French road system then? Then again road tax in England doesn't pay for the roads anyway does it?

From what I remember driving on the main roads in France is pretty good anyway so avoidance of motorways will be quite easy for me. Also as I've been living in Australia the past 6 years the max speed limit is only 100km anyway and there's no motorways as such in SE Queensland either.

Sounds like motoring in France will be cheaper than motoring in Australia then even if the price of unleaded fuel here is only 96c (1.66 euros).

FANTASTIC!!!

[quote]Thanks for that. I've been thinking about buying a Peugeot 307 diesel, so that'll keep costs down as you say. It sounds like motoring in France is very cheap. So the only annual costs are insurance a...[/quote]

Sounds like motoring in France will be cheaper than motoring in Australia then even if the price of unleaded fuel here is only 96c (1.66 euros).

How much?? I've no idea of the value of the Aussie Dollar, but 1.66E/litre (they don't use imperial measurements in Australia do they?) would put it higher than anywhere in Europe. 95 Unleaded is about 1.20/litre, although the price varies wildly. Diesel about 1E.

Motoring in France ain't cheap, in the same way that motoring in the UK ain't cheap. More expensive that the UK (my only other point of reference), if you take into account the increased mileages necessitated by the fact that the country is larger.

Edit - Because I can't be bothered to do any work, i've just looked up the exchange rate on XE; 96cAUS = 0.601781Euro, which puts a different light on it, eh?

So motoring in France ain't cheap eh? We run a Renault Kangoo 1.9 diesel and consistently return 20k per litre. Our previous (UK reg car, Honda Aerodeck) was 12k per litre. Plus diesel is cheaper here as well as insurance and that includes roadside assistance etc. So our motoring is costing us about half of what it was in UK. We're happy with that, apart form the empty roads as well ....

Bob & Jane (47)

[quote]Sounds like motoring in France will be cheaper than motoring in Australia then even if the price of unleaded fuel here is only 96c (1.66 euros). How much?? I've no idea of the value of the Aussie Do...[/quote]

Whoops, sorry I got the exchange rate the wrong way round. It should have been about 0.62 euros per litre!

For me motoring in France should be at least the same if not cheaper than Oz. Currently I drive a Kia Sportage 4x4 on unleaded. Apart from being Asias version of the Skoda, and the fact it isn't too juicy compared to other 4x4's, I worked out somewhere by getting a diesel in France (probably the smaller Peugeot 307), my petrol costs per km will be very similar to my Kia even taking into account the exchange rate. Plus over here we have to pay about $700 per year on rego (or road tax as its called in the UK) for a 4 cylinder car (although this figure does includes compulsory 3rd party insurance) and an extra $400 for fully comp insurance. Add to this that Australia is a much larger country than France, motoring over here isn't as cheap as it may sound.